We have fed you with numerous spy images of the new 2014 Fiat Grade Punto facelift till date. Both the camouflaged exterior and the totally uncamouflaged interior of the new car have been unveiled many times by our exclusive spy images. In a first, however, it seems that the official frontal design of the car has been accidentally unveiled in a presentation.
The leaked official image of the car, in a sketch form was apparently taken during a Fiat Chrysler investor presentation. The presentation showcased Fiat’s plan for growth in the next five years for key markets including India. The new Punto was one of the models in the presentation, and the good blokes at Autocar India have somehow managed to lay their hands on the image of the car.
As revealed by our spy images earlier, the new Punto will feature a new dashboard design (similar to the new Linea), with a dual tone black-beige combination. The car also gets a new center console and a redesigned instrument cluster. Expect some more invisible bells and whistles too.
Looking closely at the new design, we can see some similarities and some differences with the spy images with us. Here’s a list
- The twin frame front grille looks similar in design to the spy images. However, the upper half of the grille in the leaked sketch looks much bigger and more aggressive than the real life model.
- The leaked images show a 5×2 spoke design for the alloys, while the images we have show the car running on 7×2 spoke alloys
- The rounded, curvier ORVMs on the leaked image are also different from more pointy design on the specimen we caught testing
- Looking closely at the headlamps, it would be tough for us to believe that the headlamps of the test model would be similar to the design shown in the leaked images.
- Fog lamp housings are similar to the ones seen on the new Linea, with chrome lining
- Finally, looking closely at the leaked image, it appears that it’s an image of the two-door Punto, and not the Grande Punto sold in India. While the design may still be similar for the four door variant slated for India, we have our reasons to believe otherwise.
If, however, the new Fiat Grande Punto, slated to be launched later this year is similar to the leaked image, it would be drawing quite a bit from its upcoming Avvventura crossover spinoff design wise. The shape of the headlamps of the Avventura is in compliance with the design of the leaked image.
In its newest avatar, the Fiat Punto facelift will see cosmetic changes, more features and probably a reduction in engine options. The mechanicals of the car are expected to remain the save for some fine tuning. The Fiat Grande Punto is currently available with the following engines
- 1.3 liter Multijet diesel engine producing 75 bhp and 197 Nm
- 1.3 liter Multijet diesel engine producing 90 bhp and 209 Nm
- 1.2 liter petrol engine producing 68 bhp and 96 Nm
- 1.4 liter petrol engine producing 90 bhp and 115 Nm
All the above engines will come mated to a 5 speed manual transmission.
What do you think? Does this new leaked design of the Punto excite you? Do let us know your thoughts and opinions via comments.
Leaked Image Source: Autocar India