Words- Nitika Gulati
The Indian car market seems to be finally coming of age! Not a month passes, without at least one new model foraying into the fast expanding car bazaar and what’s even better is the fact that gone are the days when all manufacturers cared about were high sales from the hatchback segment. Instead, car makers have now started paying at least equal attention to bigger car segments and have been working to bring the latest of their three box models to our nation. Following is a list of upcoming sedans in India 2014-2015 –
Ford Figo Sedan
- Expected Launch Date- 2015
- Expected Price- INR 5 lakhs
- Engine- 1.2-litre DOHC (petrol), 1.5-litre DV5 turbo engine ( diesel)
- Power- 73 Bhp and 170Nm of torque (petrol), 90 bhp and 204 Nm of torque( diesel)
Ford India will be launching its Swift Dzire adversary in 2015. If the Ford Figo Sedan Concept is anything to go by, the production model would have a fairly proportionate exterior and modern styling.With an expected starting price of INR 5.7 lakhs for the petrol variant, the car could very well give some sleepless nights to the makers of Xcent, Amaze and Dzire. The Figo Concept will be powered by a 1.2 LITRE DOHC petrol engine and a 1.5 litre DV5 turbo diesel engine.
Maruti Suzuki Ciaz sedan
- Expected Launch Date- September 2014
- Expected Price- INR 8 lakhs
- Engine- 1.4-litre K2 (petrol) , 1.3-litre DDiS mill(diesel)
- Power- 95 PS (Petrol), 90 PS (Diesel)
Maruti’s next big car would be a sedan that will be a replacement for the SX4. While the Ciaz comes across as fairly athletic and sleek, it has this hint of subtle to its design. Expected to be launch during the festive season this year, Maruti will have another shot at the hot spot in upper C segment with the arrival of the Ciaz. Powering the Ciaz would be a 1.4 litre 95 PS petrol engine and a 90PS 1.3 litre DDiS diesel engine, both of which come from the Ertiga.
Toyota Corolla Altis (latest generation)
- Expected Launch Date- 27th May.
- Expected Price- INR 12.50- 16.50 lakhs
- Engine- 1.8 Litre (Petrol), 1.4 Litre (Diesel)
- Power- 138 BHP and 173 Nm (Petrol), 88 BHP and 205 Nm ( Diesel)
As per the latest update, the new Toyota Corolla Altis would be launched in India on the 27th May. With its modern and stylish looks, the new Corolla Altis could become a model to watch out for in the D segment of our market. The latest Altis is expected to lie within a price range of 12.50- 16.50 lakhs. Now going over to the engine performance, a 1.8 litre petrol engine that puts around 138 BHP of power and 173 Nm of Torque will be on duty. The diesel engine will be powered by a 1.4 litre diesel engine that will churn out a peak power of 88 BHP and a peak Torque of 205 Nm.
Audi A3 Sedan
- Expected Launch Date- August 2014
- Expected Price- INR 22-30 lakhs
- Engine- 1.8-litre TFSI (Petrol), 2.0-litre TDI mill (diesel)
- Power- 168bhp and 320Nm (Petrol), 141bhp and 320Nm
Audi will be coming up with Audi A3 sedan, its new entry level three box model, later this year in August. Audi A3 sedan is an answer to upcoming Mercedes-Benz CLA and BMW 1 Series sedan. A3 looks like a miniature version of the A4, which should be a good thing for those willing to go for this new model. Expected to have a starting price of INR 22 lakhs, the A3 sedan could very well become the ‘biggest thing’ in Audi’s sedan family. A3’s petrol version will be powered by 1.8-litre TFSI developing 168Bhp and 32Nm of torque. The diesel version will be powered by 2.0-litre TDI mill developing a power of 141Bhp and 320Nm of peak torque. So are you ready to welcome the smallest member of the Audi family?
- Expected Launch Date- January 2015
- Expected Price- INR 23-29 lakhs
- Engine- 1.6 litre (petrol), 2.2-litre (diesel)
- Power- 120.7Bhp and 200Nm torque (petrol), 107.3Bhp and 250Nm of torque (diesel)
Affordable, chic and sophisticated! Yes… We are talking about the new Mercedes-Benz CLA whose launch is due in January 2015. With a starting price of around INR 23 lakhs, the Mercedez CLA will become an Audi A3 adversary. Its entry level variant is powered by a 1.6 litre petrol engine that generates a power of 120.7 Bhp and a peak torque of 200 Nm. On the other hand its diesel version is equipped with a 2.2 litre engine generating 107.3 Bhp and 250 Nm of maximum torque. This classy thing will most definitely excite many entry level luxury car buyers in India.