Hyundai’s premium hatchback offering in India is about to complete its journey from being ‘Uber Cool’ to ‘Elite’. The New 2014 Elite i20 will be revealed formally at an event in Delhi today. We’ve already had one of our readers, who owns a current gen i20 review the car briefly ( Click here for the review), and he thinks the new car scores well above the outgoing version.
The new 2014 Hyundai Elite i20 has been revised both on the outside as well as the inside. The new car sports revised styling overall and the fluidic design has been sobered down. The front now sports a large trapezoidal grille embedded in the bumper, while the headlamps are bigger than the outgoing model. New 8-spoke alloys look stylish, while the C-pillar has been blacked-out to lend the roof-line a floating appearance. Vertically stashed tail-lights have been replaced with smarter looking horizontal lamps at the rear and make the car look muscular.
Engine options will be limited to two in the form of a 1.2-litre, petrol engine with variable timing which will develop 83 PS of power and 115 Nm of torque. A 1.4-litre, CRDI engine developing 90 PS of power and 220 Nm of torque will be available as a diesel option. The petrol version will be mated to a 5-speed gearbox, while the Diesel powered version will sport a 6-speed manual box. We aren’t sure if an auto option will be provided at launch.
The current gen i20’s cabin, which was a benchmark in the segment has undergone changes too. The new cabin takes things a notch higher and now features a rear AC vent, front seats that provide better lumbar support, horizontal AC vents, a differently designed and better sounding stereo, a new panel for temperature control and a new coloured display, flanked by the speedometer and the rev-counter. The steering wheel is a new unit too and now features thumb recess. Unfortunately, the new car does not feature DRL’s or a sunroof, even as an option!
So as Hyundai reveals the prices, variants and all other details, we will bring you all the information from the event, Live!
Brochure images (Click on any image to enlarge)
Some Images from the event as the car is about to be revealed.
Ambassador of the Republic of Korea, Mr John Gyu Lee takes the dias.
Mr Jin Kim, Sr Director, Asia Pacific and Middle East, addressing the media.
The new Elite i20 will help Hyundai consolidate its position as the leading exporter of cars from India. The Korean car manufacturer currently exports cars to over 120 countries.
Mr Casey Hyun, Creative Design Manager, Hyundai, takes the stage to explain about the new car’s design.
Click on any image to enlarge and know more about the exterior design concept of the Elite i20.
Some Pictures which explain the new interior design:
Mr. Sanjay Gupta, Sr GM, Group Head, Hyundai Motor India informs about the Elite i20’s segment positioning.
- 1197 cc, Dual VTVT, Kappa Petrol Engine will develop 83 ps of power and 117 Nm of torque. ARAI rated efficiency figure of 18.60 Kmpl
- 1396 cc, CRDI, Diesel engine will develop 90 ps of power and 224 Nm of torque. Operates at a high pressure of 1800 bars and is capable of good low-end torque. Will boast of an ARAI rated 22.4 kmpl efficiency figure
- Petrol engine will be mated to a 5-speed gearbox, while the diesel version will retains a 6-speed manual box
- Masculine & Bold Hexagonal front grille
- Large bonnet imparts big car feel
- Elongated swept back head-lamps
- Wide and disntinctive Trapezoidal fog-lamps.
- Premium 2 tone 16 inch diamond cut alloy wheels
- Black C pillar
- Premium chrome finish door handles
- Wide 3 step wrap around tail-lamps.
- Sporty multi-function steering wheel
- Integrated 2 Din MP3 Audio with USB & AUX-in & 1 GB internal memory. Improved acoustics with an 8-speaker setup
- Boot space of 285 litres
- Air-conditioning system comes with a cluster ionizer. Rear AC vents for better cooling
- FATC (Fully Automatic Temperature Control) for added comfort & style
- Front console armrest with storage box
- Driver seat height adjuster
- Centre console mounted card holder, sun-glass holder, front & rear door map pockets.
- Three-spoke steering wheel with Audio & Bluetooth controls
- Start-stop button
- Smart key
- Tilt & Telescopic steering wheel
- Escort Function
- Auto folding outside rear view mirror (ORVM)
- Dual airbags
- Smart pedal
- Impact sensing door unlock
- Rear parking camera with Steering adaptive parking guide lines
- Reverse parking sensors
- Pristine Blue
- Red Passion
- Midas Gold
- Sleek Sliver
- Mystic Blue
- Polar White
Both Petrol and Diesel models will be available in four trims:
Era – Rs. 4.89 lah
Magna – Rs. 5.42 lakh
Sportz – 4.94 Lakh
Asta – 6.47 lakh
Era – 6.10 lakh
Magna – Rs. 6.62 lakh
Sportz – 7.13 lakh
Asta – Rs. 7.67 lakh
All prices, (Ex-Showroom, Delhi)