Mercedes-Benz India today rolled out its locally assembled GL-Class from its Chakan plant in Pune. M-B India has become the only plant to produce the generation GL-Class outside Mercedes-Benz’s SUV plant in Tuscaloosa, USA. The highlights of the new GL-Class are mentioned below
The GL 350 CDI will be available at INR 72.58 lakhs, ex-showroom Pune.
- Known as the S-Class among SUVs, the GL-Class is a big, spacious SUV and is powered by a V6 diesel engine. The 2987cc engine produces 619 Nm of torque @ 1600-2400 and a power of 190 kW/258 hp @ 3600rpm.
- 7G-TRONIC Plus automatic transmission offers high level of responsiveness wherein the car can reach 0-100km/h in 7.9 seconds, with the top speed at 220 km/h.
- With an spacious interior, the New GL-Class has an easy front and rear seat access with Easy Entry system on both sides.
- The daytime LED running lights are integrated into the front bumper. New design tail lights look great too. New sporty light-alloy wheels and two piece tail light with LED optic fibre cable adds to the appeal of this massive SUV.
- Segment innovations: 360°camera, Cross-Wind Stabilization, Open pore ashwood trim, Active Park Assist, Panoramic sunroof for all three seat rows
- Production benchmark achieved with GL-Class: New flexible assembly lines, EMS–Transfer, production lines with latest generation controllers, X-road–dynamic testing and programming of cars, frequency controlled measurements for accuracy, dynamic shower testing cabin etc
- Boot capacity of 680 litre expandable to 1210 litre (with 3rd row seat folded) or 2300 litre (with 2nd and 3rd row seats folded). The electric foldable third row offers ample room to seat full-sized adults comfortably.
- The new GL-Class comes with technologies of the likes of DSR, ESP, 4ETS, 4MATIC, AIRMATIC, etc.
- The ECO start-stop feature reduces fuel consumption and emissions by automatically switching off the engine when the car is not moving in traffic.
- The V6 diesel has options like the AIRMATIC package for better ride control which helps in getting over the toughest of roads and worst terrains.
- Active Parking helps the driver to find a suitable parking space for parallel parking, and to enter and leave parking spaces by active steering. PARKTRONIC warns the driver of obstacles that are difficult to detect in front and behind the vehicle.
- New GL-CLass comes with panoramic sunroof including a sunroof even for the third row of passengers, creating a larger transparent area and brighter interior.
- The vehicle also features latest multimedia with the COMAND Online featuring a 7.0 inch colour display with TFT technology. Features like the Bluetooth interface with hands-free function, as well as internet browsing, Mercedes-Benz apps and the GPS system can be operated with the central control interface of the COMAND Online.
- GL-Class with the Pre-Safe ensures that vehicle reacts and prepares itself before any possible collision and with nine airbags it is one of the safest vehicles.
- Attention Assist helps the driver as soon as it detects signs of drowsiness on longer trips by continuously monitoring over 72 different parameters of driving behavior while there is an additional “Crosswind assist” as further assistance to driver support.
- The new GL-Class is immediately recognizable as a sports utility vehicle on account of its styling, which is brimming with character. It combines expressive design and high-class appeal to create a powerful presence.
- It is a forward-looking interpretation of a sophisticated SUV. With the length of 5120 mm (+32 mm), width of 1934 mm (+4 mm) and height of 1850 mm (+10mm) the new GL is longer, wider and taller than its predecessor, and looks even more impressive.
- The self-assured muscular radiator grill with the Three Pointed Star oozes confidence and road presence to the optimum level.
- The GL-Class will be offered in three colour and upholstery combinations: Obsidian Black with Almond Beige, Polar White with Almond Beige and Palladium Silver with Black upholstery.
Arrangement/no. of cylinders: V6
Displacement (cc) (cm3): 2,987
Rated Output (kW/hp @ rpm): 190 / 258 @ 3600
Rated Torque (Nm @ rpm): 619 @ 1600-2400
Approx. top speed (km/h): 220
Acceleration (0-100 km/h, s): 7.9
Power transmission and wheels
Tyres/wheels: 275/55 R19
Drive system: 4MATIC
Transmission: 7G-TRONIC Plus Automatic transmission
Capacities and weights:
Kerb weight (kg): 2,535
Permissible GVW (kg): 3,250
Boot capacity (VDA) (l): 680-1210-2300
Turning circle diameter (m): 12.40
At the rollout event, Mr. Eberhard Kern, Managing Director and CEO, Mercedes-Benz India said, “The full-size luxury SUV is a fast growing segment in the Indian automotive industry and the new GL-Class that we launched in India in May 2013, has a strong presence and is already sold out. Local production of the GL-Class will provide immense value addition and benefits to our valued customers in the form of easier production availability and flexible production scheduling, ensuring an unbeatable value proposition and appeal to this luxurious SUV. The GL-Class 350 CDI which is also known as the S-Class amongst SUVs, is the first GL-Class ever to be offered from a local production outside Mercedes-Benz’s SUV plant in Tuscaloosa, USA. Daimler considers India as one of its key growth markets and the start of local production of the GL-Class SUV reiterates its long-term commitment and focus.”
Next Page for the Image gallery>>>
New 2013 Mercdes-Benz GL-Class Image Gallery