Mercedes-Benz India has already declared the year 2014 as the Year of Excellence. Under this, the company had already launched two AMG products this year- GL63 AMG and ML63 AMG. Now, the Mercedes-Benz CLA 45 AMG, India’s first ‘Compact Performance Sedan’, is the third AMG product to be launched this year. Mercedes-Benz has already launched AMG Performance Centres in Delhi, Bangalore and Mumbai, which will cater specifically to AMG machines.
Mercedes-Benz India had recently released the first India-specific television commercial for the CLA 45 AMG. The campaign is conceptualized and produced by Mercedes-Benz’s digital agency, CreativeLand Asia. (CLICK HERE TO CHECK OUT THE COMMERCIAL)
Powering the CLA 45 AMG is a 2.0-liter, twin turbo, 4 pot mill which won the “Best 1.8 to 2.0 litre Engine of the Year” and the “Best new Engine 2014” award. It churns out a whopping 355 bhp of max power and 450 Nm of peak torque. The 2.0 liter motor is mated with to a 7G-DCT automatic transmission and an all-wheel-drive system that ensures maximum grip over any type of road surface. This is the most powerful 4 cylinder motor used in any production car. The car reaches the ton from standstill in a mere 4.6 seconds and keeps accelerating until it reaches its electronically limited top whack of 250 kmph. At an extra cost, owners can opt for a special package which gets rid of this speed limiter.
Visual differences between the regular variants and the CLA45 AMG include- more aerodynamic front and rear bumpers, AMG sport steering wheel and gear lever. The CLA45 AMG gets three stage ESP with Curve Dynamic Assist, aerodynamic front and rear bumpers with carbon fiber trims. The CLA45 AMG rides on 18 inch wheels shod with 235/40R18 rubber.
As Mercedes-AMG launches this car at the Buddh International Circuit, we are at the event to bring you all the updates real-time, stay glued to this post.
Ah My God! That is what AMG stands for now.
Mr. Eberhard Kern, Managing Director & CEO, Mercedes-Benz India addressing the Press Conference before the CLA 45 AMG launch. Mercedes-AMG is calling the CLA 45 AMG as India’s first compact performance sedan and are targeting this car at young achievers. The award winning engine in this car will be mated to a 7G-DCT gearbox, which features three driving modes and a double-declutch function along with a launch control system they call ‘Race start’.
The car has been priced at 68.5 lakhs ex-showroom, Delhi.
We finally get to the track and find some magnificent creatures in their natural habitat.
The Engine & Performance:
- The CLA 45 hides the most powerful 4-cylinder engine in a series production car under it’s hood.
- India’s first “Compact Performance Sedan” and the seventh member of the performance brand’s India portfolio.
- The engine that powers the CLA 45 AMG has won coveted International awards at the “Engine of the Year Awards 2014” for the category: “New Engine 2014” and “1.8 litre to 2.0 litre”.
- The engine develops 355 bhp and 450 Nm of torque
- Does a 0-100 in 4.6 seconds, top speed electronically limited to 250 kmph.
- 7-Speed DCT gearbox transfers power to all four wheels.
- Features Double-Declutching and Race Start functions.
- Three driving modes available, C – Controlled Efficiency, S – Sport and M – Manual.
- Sport mode features sporty gear shift characteristics and shorter shift times, manual mode allows fast shifting via shift paddles on the wheel.
- Sporty and emotive design elements appeal to the heart.
- The big Three-pointed star is slotted between a twin-blade radiator grille painted in Matt Titanium Grey.
- Typical AMG styling cues appear on the car everywhere. A compact silhouette and the sloping roof-line remind of the CLS.
- Large intakes up front also enable effective flow of air to the cooling modules.
- Features 5-Spoke, 18-inch, two-tone, light alloy wheels in Titanium grey finish. Brake calipers are painted in Red.
- Quad exhausts at the rear
Equipment, Safety and Interiors:
- AMG Sports Suspension.
- AMG 4-Matic all-wheel drive system with variable torque distribution.
- Bi-Xenon headlamps, tyre pressure loss monitoring system, 3-stage ESP and 7 Airbags.
- ‘RACETIMER’, which the driver can use to record lap times on a track.
- AMG Performance seats, steering wheel and a Panoramic Sunroof.
- AMG floor mats and illuminated door sills with ‘AMG’ lettering. Red designo seat-belts.
- Instrument cluster has a 2-tube look. Central display features AMG main menu.