GM India have launched the Beat diesel in India. The car that GM India claims will set the Indians free has been priced very aggressively and should divert a lot of petrol car sales from other brands towards itself. Reason being, the price is at par with the petrol variants of most other manufacturers. The Beat diesel, like its petrol counterpart is available in four variants. Here’s the list of variants and their respective ex-Delhi prices.
PS: Rs 4.29 lakh
LS: Rs 4.59 lakh
LT: Rs 4.99 lakh
LT option pack with ABS / airbags and alloy wheels: Rs 5.45 lakh
With an ARAI certified fuel efficiency of 24kmpl, the Beat comes with a 1.0-liter three cylinder XSDE diesel engine good for about 58PS and 150Nm of torque. The interiors of the car will remain unchanged, but the car would now be equipped with EPS (electronic power steering) to replace the earlier hydraulic unit. Here are some of the salient points of the Beat diesel
• Powered by a 936 cc, three cylinder turbocharged Smartech XSDE diesel engine
• Peak power 58PS @ 4000 rom
• Peak torque 150Nm @ 1750 rpm
• New Electric Power Steering replaces the hydraulic unit, to be introduced on petrol Beat later
• ARAI certified fuel efficiency of 24 kmpl
• Excellent NVH deadening, silent operation
• Very less turbo lag, linear acceleration
• Zippy engine, doesn’t feel lethargic
• New 5 speed manual gearbox
• No changes made to the interior
• India first market in the world where a diesel variant of the Beat is being launched
• Gas charged suspension, tuned for Indian road conditions
Here’s the detailed specification sheet of the Beat Diesel
GM is also promoting a new feature termed ‘Intellidrive’ for the new Beat diesel. The technology is a combination of various features which makes driving more convenient, protects the clutch, and boosts fuel efficiency. Here’s all what the Beat diesel Intellidrive tech is comprised of
Pro-Vario Assist Featherlite – EPS (PAF EPS)
• Smoothest easy drive Electronic Power Steering
• Human Comfort Technology for higher power steering assist for lowest effort in parking maneuvers & low speed driving.
• Road speed dependant progressively variable assist levels above 40kmph for increased road feel & optimum vehicle control.
Intelligent Launch Support System (ILSS)
• ILSS ensures effortless launch, specially on gradients in conjunction with Advanced Insta-Torque Boost (AIB) & Electronic Throttle.
• Electronic Clutch Switch detects clutch pedal has been pressed therefore optimum torque is delivered.
Advanced Insta-Torque Boost (AIB)
• Smart Turbo-charger with vacuum activated wastegate cuts in smoothly for instant torque build-up.
• Highest Torque per Litre in Mini Segment.
• Helps during overtaking maneuvers by sensing torque demand & providing instant torque through immediate engine RPM increase.
Smart Engine & Clutch Protection Mode (SECP)
• Engine Protection Mode manages engine torque & power output based on inputs from coolant temperature sensor and engine oil pressure sensor.
• Smart electronically controlled logic ensures launch RPMs are maintained in the safe zone.
• Clutch Assembly protection during car launch on grades – specially designed for Indian Driving Conditions & New Drivers.
• Aids Fuel Efficiency and minimizes clutch wear for lower running & maintenance costs.
Gas Charged Rebound Tuned Suspension (GRTS)
• GRT suspension tuned to maximise ride comfort and dynamic vehicle handling.
• Specially tuned suspension for Indian driving conditions & customer preferences.
• Wider tires aid better road grip and enhance high speed cornering as well as braking efficiency
Stay tuned for more dope on the Beat diesel, along with comparison with rivals in terms of features, specs and price.