The all new 2017 Porsche 911 RSR has been brought out of the covers and will soon make a debut at the Daytona 24-hour race in January 2017. It retains the 911 design but many of the components inside have been designed and developed from scratch. These include – body structure, the suspension, aerodynamic concept, engine and transmission. The maker says that for the first time, the GT racer bears the new factory design. At the LA Auto Show, the Porsche pavilion was graced by professional Tennis Player – Maria Sharpova and American actor, Patrick Dempsey.
The weight-optimised chassis is crafted out of combined aluminium steel design. The roof hatch is removable for cockpit access. Some of the features are mentioned below:
- FT3 fuel cell in front of the car
- Welded-in roll cage
- Six-point safety harness for use with HANS
- Longitudinally adjustable pedalry
- Bodywork made of CFRP
- Rear wing with “swan neck” mounts
- Four-post air jack system with safety pressure valve
- Electronically activated fire extinguisher system
- Heated windscreen.
Under the hood is a Water-cooled six cylinder Boxer engine positioned in front of the rear axle. The 4,000cc unit can fire out a maximum power of 510 hp; power output can vary due to the restrictor. Transmission duties are taken care by a six-speed sequential constant-mesh gearbox. The engine concept has enabled the designers to install a particularly large rear diffuser. Combined with a top-mounted rear wing adopted from the LMP1 race car, the 919 Hybrid, the level of downforce and the aerodynamic efficiency are claimed to be improved. The basic colours of the 911 RSR remain white, red and black.
The Electrics on the Porsche 911 RSR include:
- Cosworth Central Logger Unit
- CFRP multi-functional steering wheel with integrated display
- Shift paddles and quick release
- Collision Avoidance System
- Controlled alternator in connection with LiFePo4 battery
- LED headlights
- LED taillights plus rain light
- Illuminated car number and leader light system
- Black light inside cockpit
- Electric adjustable wing mirrors with memory function
- Tyre pressure monitoring system (TPMS)
- Drink system
- Air conditioning system
- Membrane switch panel on centre console with fluorescent labelling.
Here’s a video of the Porsche 911 RSR followed by an image gallery!
Have a look at the Porsche 911RSR through the image gallery below, click on the thumbnail to expand!