Chevrolet has unveiled reinvigorated 2019 Camaro lineup with updated designs, new available technologies and the first-ever Turbo 1LE.
What’s new? The new 2019 Camaro SS is now offered with 10L80 10-speed paddle-shift automatic transmission featuring custom launch control and line lock, Chevrolet Infotainment 3 systems, including available navigation, new available Rear Camera Mirror and new available Forward Collision Alert.
Visually, the 2019 Camaro’s grille details and hood and fascia vents were designed for optimized air flow, either to cool components or help minimize drag or lift. Camaro designers follow the mantra that all elements must not only be beautiful but also enhance performance.
The new front-end styling with distinct differences between LS/LT, RS and SS, includes the fascia, grille, LED dual-element headlamps and reshaped hood (ZL1 retains its airflow-optimized front-end styling). The SS-specific front fascia features “flowtie” open bowtie grille emblem and aero-enhancing air curtains, specific headlamps with new LED signature and extractor-style hood. The RS Appearance Package available on LT adds unique polished black grille with Galvano Chrome lower inserts, new LED headlamps with LED signature light bar, specific rear fascia with rear diffuser and 20-inch wheels.
The new rear fascias has been updated for all models too, with specific diffusers on RS and SS when equipped with Dual Mode Exhaust. The new LED taillamps get a more sculptured evolution of Chevrolet’s signature dual-element design; red lenses are featured on LS and LT, while the RS, SS and ZL1 feature dark-tinted neutral-density lenses. The RS and SS models also feature a new 20-inch wheel designs.
Mechanically, the new Camaro Turbo 1LE joins the V6 1LE, SS 1LE and ZL1 1LE to round out Camaro’s lineup of 1LE track stars. Leveraging the performance and weight distribution enabled by Camaro’s 2.0L turbocharged engine, the Turbo 1LE comes exclusively with a six-speed manual transmission and a tailored chassis package derived from the V6 1LE to offer track-capable performance. The 2.0L turbo engine is tuned to deliver 275 hp (205 kW) of power and 400 Nm (295 lb-ft) of peak torque.
- FE3 suspension with larger diameter front and rear stabilizer bars, specifically tuned dampers, stiffer rear cradle bushings and cross-axis ball joints in the rear tow links that enhance lateral stiffness
- Split front/rear summer-only tire sizes: P245/40R20 (front) and P275/35R20 (rear)
- Brembo brake package with low-metallic performance pads
- Nearly 50/50 weight balance
- Driver Mode Selector with Sport Mode and new Track Mode; Competition Mode (within Sport and Track Modes) includes performance instrument readouts, launch control, shift lights and more
- Standard sueded flat-bottom steering wheel and shift knob plus available Recaro seats
The 2019 Camaro also offers Chevrolet’s next-generation Infotainment 3 with all-new systems that provide a more personalized experience and a more intuitive interface. They’re the most advanced infotainment systems ever from Chevrolet, with functionality that mimics the latest smartphones and tablets, and cloud connection designed to enhance personalization, available navigation, voice recognition, apps and more. They even allow vehicle software updates to be automatically uploaded over the air.
The standard system features a 7-inch-diagonal color touchscreen. An 8-inch diagonal touchscreen running Infotainment 3 is available, including one with navigation. Additional new technology features and enhancements include:
- Standard Rear Camera Mirror on 2SS and ZL1 models offers a wider, less obstructed field of view using a camera display that eliminates potential obstructions such as rear body pillars or seat headrests; a conventional rearview mirror view is also available
- Improved standard rear-vision camera system* with a new, digital high-definition camera that offers improved view quality
- Forward Collision Alert joins Camaro’s roster of available active safety features
- Enhanced Performance Data Recorder system
- The 2019 Camaro joins Cruze, Malibu and Spark as part of Chevrolet’s revitalized 2019 lineup of cars.