The Volkswagen Polo has been quite successful as a product since it’s launch in 2009. The clean lines, premium appeal, the VW badge and German build did appeal to many. However, a noisy and somewhat anaemic 3-cylinder diesel motor started to make it look dull, in comparison to the Fiat 1.3 Multijet engine, which finds home in many Indian cars. Volkswagen did launch the GT TDI and the TSI for the enthusiast, which was lapped up by many, but the standard versions just weren’t moving off shelfs, as the competition was offering much more.
In order to put their car back on the saddle and make the sales sheet look like the German score against Brazil, Volkswagen has refreshed it’s hatchback offering and this time around has equipped it with a long-handled mallet. The refreshed Polo will feature a much needed change in the form of a 1.5 liter, 4-cylinder diesel motor, which is expected to produce 89 bhp in it’s standard guise and around 104 horses in the GT TDI. There are no changes to the petrol variants and they will be powered by the same 1.2-litre three cylinder engine that produces 73.5bhp of power.
Volkswagen has made minor visual updates to the 2014 Polo like a revised front grille, new headlamps, new bumper, fog lamps and new alloy wheels. The changes to the interior include a new center console which is now finished in silver and the multi-info display on the instrument cluster gets a new font style. The flat-bottom, 3-spoke new steering wheel looks inviting and Volkswagen is rumored to offer the new car in an orange shade. As Volkswagen adds more horses to the Diesel Polo, we will be reporting Live from the launch event and keep this post updated throughout the day. Stay tuned.
There’s something about veiled beauty..
Singer Ash King, Suzanne D’Mello, Shazneen Arethna and Mumbai band ‘Raagatrippin’ are performing at the event. The 2014 Polo must be good at making music with it’s new 4-pot diesel motor. A Polo better than J’lo?
As the artists perform to ‘I’m feeling good’, the new feel good Polo makes an entry:
The New 1.5 litre diesel unit.
Prices have been announced:
Polo 1.2 MPI Rs. 4.99 – 6.07 lakh
Polo 1.5 TDI Rs. 6.27 – 7.37 lakh
Cross Polo Rs. 7.90 lakh
Polo GT TDI Rs. 7.99 lakh
Polo GT TSI Rs. 7.99 lakh (All prices ex-showroom Delhi)
(Click on any picture for an enlarged view)
- New Volkswagen Polo will be available with a 1.2 litre MPI, 1.2 litre TSI and an all-new 1.5 litre TDI engine.
- Polo GT TSI and TDI will be launched at the end of August. GT TSI will continue to be equipped with the 7-speed dual-clutch DSG.
- The Cross Polo will receive the new engine as well.
- New 1.5 TDI and 1.2 MPI, 3-cylinder versions will be available at all Volkswagen dealers, starting today.
- The New Polo is the only hatchback in it’s segment, which has a 4-star NCAP safety rating.
- The new 1.5 TDI engine puts out 88.8 bhp (90 Ps) and 230 Nm of torque. Boasts of an ARAI-certified efficiency figure of 20.14 kmpl.
- The same engine in the GT TDI will develop 103.6 bhp (105 Ps) and 250 Nm of torque. Will return an efficiency figure of 19.91 kmpl
- GT TSI retains the older engine, develops 105 pS (103.6 bhp), coupled with 175 Nm of torque. ARAI certified efficiency of 17.21 kmpl.
Changes in Design & Features:
- Airbags are standard on all versions.
- Front grille is new.
- New double-barrel headlamps with black masking and
- New front bumper gets a chrome lip that curves upwards and new fog-lamps.
- Fog lamps feature reflectors that turn to a 30 degree angle when you turn the indicators, will assist when parking in the dark.
- Highline version will feature new 15-inch alloys.
- Revised rear bumper with integrated reflectors.
- A new shade of orange is now available.
- New seat upholstery
- A sportier flat-bottom steering wheel.
- Silver painted centre console.
We will keep you posted with all the information about the New 2014 Volkswagen Polo along with a lot more pictures, stay tuned.