We reported in detail when BMW Group showcased the new 2014 MINI at the 2013 Tokyo Motor Show recently. The new gen MINI has now reached the ongoing 2013 LA Auto Show and here are all the details and official images of the latest iteration of the iconic car.
The MINI has grown in size! The new 2014 MINI is 98mm longer, 44mm wider and 7mm taller than the outgoing model. The car’s wheelbase is longer by 42mm and the track widths too have increased by 42mm and 34 mm at front and rear respectively. All this means that the new car not just offers more room to the passengers but also has a 30 percent larger boot.
Visually, there is no mistaking the new MINI for anything else. While the new car doesn’t share even a single panel with the outgoing model, it does have an exterior styling that is more evolutionary than revolutionary. Also, worth a mention here is that the new MINI’s design has hints of the Rocketman design study that we saw earlier.
The new MINI boasts of include- new Variable Damper Control (offers Comfort and Sport settings), an 8.8 inch screen for the infotainment system with iDrive-like controllers, and a host of other standard and optional features.
The new MINI will go on sale with three turbocharged Euro 6 compliant engines-
- Powering the entry level Cooper will be a 3-cylinder, 1.5-liter unit that has a max power of 134 bhp (100 kW) and peak torque of 162 lb-ft (170 lb-ft with overboost). The engine would bestow the rider with 62.8 mpg in UK cycle
- Also on offer would be a 1.5-liter oil burner with 114 bhp (85 kW) of max power. The engine has a peak torque of 199 lb-ft (269 Nm) and the Cooper D will return 80.7 mpg in UK cycle
- The Cooper S will be powered by a 4-cylinder, 2.0-liter turbocharged petrol motor that has 189 horses on offer. The peak torque is rated at 206 lb-ft (221 lb-ft with overboost) and the Cooper S will return 49.6 mpg in UK cycle.
All the three engines will have stop/start technology and would send power to the front wheels via six-speed manual gearbox or an optional six-speed auto.
The new MINI will go on sale in UK early next spring and following is the price list-
- The 2014 MINI Cooper will have a starting price of 15,300 GBP
- The 2014 MINI Cooper D (diesel variant) will have a base price of 16,450 GBP
- The 2014 MINI Cooper S, which would be the tastiest of the lot, will have a staring price of 18,650 GBP