India Yamaha Motor, the Indian subsidiary of the popular Japanese bike maker recently announced its decision to go ahead with a voluntarily recall of 56,082 units of its Ray automatic scooter. This is due to the bike maker’s recent discovery that the handlebar of some of the scooters it has manufactured could have insufficient strength due to inadequate welding.
“There is a chance in extreme cases that this might impact the steering operation. As a part of an exercise to rectify the problem, the company will reach out to each individual customer in possession of such scooter to process the recall,” the company said in a statement.
India Yamaha Motor said that the issue in Ray’s handlebar was detected during a routine field study. The manufacturer will launch the recall drive on Saturday and the drive will be called as the Ray Refresh Campaign. The recall drive will take place at all the India Yamaha Motor dealerships across the country and the customers with scooters that fall under the recall drive will be contacted through both phone and e-mail. The expenses for the parts replacement will be borne by the manufacturer.
The recently launched Yamaha Ray Z doesn’t fall under this recall.
Yamaha Ray technical specifications
- Engine type Air-cooled, 4-stroke, SOHC, 2-valve
- Displacement 113 cc
- Bore & Stroke 50.0 × 57.8 mm
- Compression ratio 9.2:1
- Maximum horse power 7.1PS / 7,500 rpm
- Maximum torque 8.1N.m / 5000 rpm
- Starting system Electric and Kick
- Ignition system C.D.I (Capacitor Discharge Ignition)
- Fuel supply Carburetor
- Headlight Halogen bulb 12V,35W/35W X1
- Primary/Secondary reduction ratios 1.000/9.388
- Tranmission type V-belt automatic
- Frame type Underbone
- Front suspension Telescopic
- Rear suspension Unit swing
- Front brake Drum brake, 130mm dia
- Rear brake Drum brake, 130mm dia
- Front tyre 90/100-10 53J(Tube type)
- Rear tyre 90/100-10 53J(Tube type)
- Overall length x width x height 1,835mm x 675mm × 1,075mm
- Kerb Weight 104 kg
- Wheelbase 1,270mm
- Minimum ground clearance 128mm
- Engine oil volume 0.8 litres
- Fuel tank capacity 5 liters
- Seat Height 760 mm