Mercedes-Benz India has started the year 2013 on an extremely aggressive note. There seems to be a deep commitment within the brand to regain its No.1 position in the country from its German counterparts. The newly appointed MD Mr. Eberhard Kern seems resolute to put the Three Pointed Star back on top.
As a part of its aggressive strategy, the company introduced the Mercedes-Benz Performance Drive platform to India. Arguably the most comprehensive driving events platform, in the country, the Performance Drive program has an event and an poortunity for every interest and skill set in the motoring world.
This unique driving platform is divided into six parts, each of which serves a specific interest category. From circuit racing to leisurely off-roading, the platform caters to every enthusiast. Enthusiasts get an opportunity to hone their driving skills in progressive steps through internationally certified events.
Here’s a detailed break-up of what the Mercedes-Benz Performance Drive programme comprises of.
1. Young Star Driver Program: Arguably the most exciting part of the package, the Young Star Driver program offers a platform for aspiring racing drivers to follow their dreams. For the first time Mercedes-Benz India has created this platform to spot, nurture and launch young stars in the Formula 1 and DTM racing circuit. Now that’s big news for the aspiring racing talent in India. Open for racing aspirants between 15-25 years, this unique event will be conducted in association with the Federation of Motor Sports Clubs of India (FMSCI). Top performers will have an opportunity to undergo Advance Training in Germany then the PRO training and finally the masters SLS AMG GT3 training. Every details about the program will follow in a separate article on Motoroids.
2. Star Off-Road Experience: This is first of its kind off-roading experience wherein participants in this program will be invited to Pune the home of Mercedes-Benz India where the specially created off road test-track where the SUVs from Mercedes stable will await them. Under supervision of experienced trainers the participants will be taught the basics of off-road driving. A chauffeured Mercedes for ground transport and a visit to the plant are additional highlights of the program.
3. Track Day Experience: For the first time in India, the corporate czars will get an opportunity to burn rubber in the iconic Buddh international Circuit on a range of high performance AMG Cars. The event will include qualifying rounds over two days and opportunity to get trained by professionals on performance driving techniques like cornering, braking, slalom etc. Also on the anvil is Corporate Track Day and programs for team building activities around performance driving.
4. International Driving experiences: Motoring enthusiasts in India now have a host of opportunities to drive highly versatile cars in most exotic locations through this route. So be it a snow-driving program near the Arctic Circle or a world tour in the G-Class, exotic driving experiences are now available at the fingertips for the Indian enthusiast.
5. AMG Driving Academy: Motoring enthusiasts who dream of a career on the track will experience track driving in powerful AMG series of cars from Mercedes-Benz and will be trained under race veterans and professionals about the different nuances of performance driving in this adrenaline gushing engagement.
6. Star Drive experience: An engagement that enables participants to experience the capabilities of the Mercedes-Benz cars and SUVs through specially created driving situations. Get behind the wheel and push your limits of driving under supervision of trained professionals, at the Star Drive experience.
Eberhard Kern, Managing Director & CEO, Mercedes-Benz India on the inauguration of the Performance Drive program said, “In India, the ‘Mercedes-Benz Performance Drive’ will address people across interest levels and skill sets through multitude of engagement opportunities. One may be an enthusiast seeking unique thrilling experiences – or a youngster with of dreams of the career on the race track: whatever the ambition or skill level, the customized driving programs under the umbrella ‘Mercedes Benz Performance Drive’ offers exciting possibilities.”