Tata Motors have introduced a one of its kind racing event to India. The Tata Motors T1 Prima Truck Racing will see fully grown trailer trucks racing at crazy speeds in India. It would be a real visual treat to see these leviathans compete with each other around the circuit.
The Tata Motors T1 Prima Truck racing is being organized under the aegis of FMSCI India. Vicky Chandhok, President FMSCI, Gopal Madhavan, Chairman, Homologation Committee – FMSCI and Steve Horne – organizer and technical advisor are the key men behind the event. An international pool of truck race drivers has been created to provide drivers to the team. These drivers will be sourced through Mr Steve Horne.
The specifications of the trucks participating in the race is procided below
- 4038.5 (4×2 tractor), BS –III, WABCO, L2, T4 with ISLe engine
- Power 370bhp @ 2100 rpm (+ / – 50 rpm)
- Max speed in top gear 110km/h
- C-SL Flat Roof Cab – Full forward steel cab with rigid structure
The trucks participating in the race will race at the BIC on March 22nd and 23rd 2014. The Trucks racing in the Tata Motors P1 Prima Truck racing will be modified in accordance with the British Truck racing Guidelines. As many as 22 modifications will be carried out on the competing trucks. The key changes made to the trucks will be
- 90 liter fuel tank + mounting brackets
- Brake cooling water spray system
- Propeller Shaft guard
- RUPD and SUPD, Roll cage, Chassis Bolting
- Racing seat base
- Modified rear mudguard brackets
- Engine cutoff switch re-location
- Oil clutch pan .. and others
The main sponsors of the Truck racing series will be Castrol, Wabco, JK Tyres, Cummins and Accenture. Associate sponsor list includes tata Steel, Setco Automotives, Rave TRW Steering Systems LTD and RSB group.
Truck racing was first introduced as a sport in USA un June 1979. World’s first truck race was held at the Atlanta Motor Speedway in USA. Today, truck racing is controlled by the FIA, attracting tens of thousands of spectators worldwide.