Fiat India has launched a more powerful, turbo charged version of its Linea sedan in India. Christened the Linea T-Jet, the new car boasts class matching power and class leading torque output of 114PS and 207 Nm respectively. The new variant of the Linea sedan is powered by a 1.4-litre turbo petrol engine, the first ever turbo engine in its segment in India. The claimed 0-100km/h sprint time of the new car is 11.14 seconds and the claimed top speed is 200km/h
Apart from the bump up in power and torque, the new Linea also boasts an array of new features over its non-turbo variant. The T-Jet now has disc brakes on all four wheels, bigger 16 inch alloy wheels with wider 205/55 R 16 tyres, increased ground clearance of 170mm and leather upholstery. The new car also has chrome accents in several places on the exterior and the interior for clear distinction from the non-turbo variant. The car is available with the choice of a newly introduced rear spoiler and a new colour ‘Sunbeam Beige’.
Speaking on the occasion, Mr Rajeev Kapoor, President & CEO Fiat India Automobiles Ltd said, “The Linea T-Jet is a product that has been refined according to the feedback received from existing and potential customers. Setting a new benchmark in the C plus segment, the new Linea offers a perfect blend of sophisticated style, guaranteed performance, class-leading comfort, outstanding ride and handling with unbeatable toughness. Linea T-jet is sure to give competition in the C plus segment a run for its money.”
Talking of the competition, the Linea is squarely targeting the Honda City which is the leader in the C plus segment with 5 to 6000 units selling every month against Linea’s 1000. With the new T-Jet Fiat is gunning for some of the City’s sales. And with an aggressive pricing of Rs 8.84 lakh and Rs 9.29 Lakh for T-jet and T-Jet Plus (more features) variants respectively, it seems that Fiat India has a good chance of attaining their target.
Here is a list of changes in the new T-Jet over the standard 1.4-litre FIRE engine powered linea.
Highest power and torque in class
Euro 5 ready
Compact design aluminum cylinder head
Improved overall NVH behaviour
DOHC with lightened drive train to reduce friction and NVH
Spark Plug and Pistons made to meet race car requirements
Double Mass Flywheel for smoother operations
TurboCharger Boost at 2.2 Bar
New bigger 16″ alloy wheels
Enhanced claimed fuel efficiency of 14.6 kmpl
Enhanced ground clearance: 170mm
All four disc brakes
New Improved AC
Improved ride quality with bigger wheels and wider tyres
Imported leather upholstery
Chrome accent and soft touch interior
New Colour – ‘Sunbeam Beige
Chrome exhaust tip
New roof antenna
Price of the Linea T-Jet
Rs 8.55 lakh (T-Jet), Rs 8.99 Lakh (T-Jet Plus) Ex-Delhi
Rs 8.84 lakh (T-Jet), Rs 9.29 Lakh (T-Jet Plus) Ex-Mumbai
Live Updates from the Linea 1.4 T-jet launch function:
– Underneath the hood of the Linea T-jet…
– Here’s the pic of the Fiat Linea T- jet Plus…
– Here’s the pic of the Fiat Linea T- jet from the launch venue in Mumbai…
– Linea T-jet will be available in eight colours including the new sunbeam beige. However, the T-jet donned in ink blue colour which was displayed at Auto Expo Show 2010, hasn’t been introduced.
– The ‘T- jet’ monogram is placed on the radiator grille and the boot lid.
– The T- jet also get more sound insulation to decrease the noise emitted by the engine and the AC
– Top speed claimed by Fiat for the Linea T-jet is 200km/h and comes with a 5- speed manual transmission.
– Stay tuned as we bring you live pics from the event…
-The 1.4 T- jet dons much better quality plastics and premium imported leather upholstery. Dashboard and inside door handles have been sprinkled with shiny chrome. There is also new roof antenna.
– The base model seems to be well equipped with 16 inch alloy wheels with wide 195/60r 15 section tyres and disc brakes on all four wheels. Wheelbase is 2603mm with ground clearance of 165mm. The T-jet Plus gets 205/55 r16 tyres with a ground clearance of 170mm.
– The 0 to 100km/h mark is reached in 11.14 seconds. Fuel efficiency of 14.6km per litre is claims.
– Linea T-jet comes powered with a Euro V 1.4 litre 4 cylinder 16 valve DOHC turbocharged petrol engine. Max power of 114.2PS at 5000rpm and 207Nm of max torque at 2200rpm.
– Ex-showroom Mumbai prices are Rs. 8.84 lakhs for Linea T-jet and Rs. 9.29 lakhs for Linea T- jet Plus.
– T- jet priced at Rs.8.55 lakhs and T- jet Plus is priced at Rs. 8.99 lakhs (all prices are ex-showroom, Delhi.)
– As you read this, Fiat has just launched the Linea T-jet and Linea T-jet Plus in Mumbai!
Technical Specifications: (speculated, to be updated from the launch)
Displacement: 1368 cc
Cylinder block: cast iron
Cylinder head: aluminum
Bore X stroke: 72 mm X 84 mm
Max power: 114 [email protected] rpm
Max torque: [email protected] rpm
Valve gear: DOHC
Valves: 16, 4 per cylinder
5 speed manual, fully synchronized with over drive on 4th and 5th
Hydraulic power assisted rack and pinion.
Front: Independent, helical coil springs, Double acting telescopic Dampers and Stabilizer Bar.
Rear: Torsion beam, helical coil springs, Double acting telescopic Dampers.
Front: ventilated disc
Rear: solid disc
All 4 wheels ABS-standard.
Wheels and tyres:
205/55 R16 tubeless tyres
Length: 4560 mm
Width: 1730 mm
Weight: 1487 mm
Wheelbase: 2603 mm
Ground clearance: 160 mm
Turning radius: 5.55 metres
Fuel tank: 45 litres
Boot space: 500 litres
Kerb weight: 1260 kg
Flip over to the next page for the pictures of distinctive features of the Linea T-Jet