The 2011 Mercedes Benz R-class has been launched in India today for a price tag of Rs. 58.79-lakh. The variant of the R Class launched here is the R350 4Matic which is powered by a 3.5-litre V6 petrol engine good for 272PS worth of power and 350Nms of torque output. The full size MPV will be imported via the CBU route and deliveries are expected to start during Diwali. There are no plans of diesel variant as of now. You can check the second page of this post for the deatailed spec sheet and pictures of the new R Class.
Here’s what we reported from the launch in Mumbai:
– The BMW and Mercedes Benz wars are at it yet again! Outside the hotel, right before the door that leads to the lobby is a BMW 7-series 740 Li parked, on display! We just love these German luxury car makers’ tiffs, don’t we?
– The optional creature comforts include an 8″ screen for rear passenger, wireless speakers, leather interiors and 3-zone climate control
– To read the Technical Data of the 2011 Mercedes Benz R-class R350, CLICK HERE
– The 2011 R-class also features AIRMATIC air suspension with the Adaptive Damping System (ADS) for a plush yet safe ride
– The 2011 R-class features a unique anticipatory occupant protection system ‘PRE-SAFE’, a complete restraint system with eight airbags, crash-active NECK-PRO head restraints, and a tire pressure loss warning system
– The 2011 Mercedes Benz R-class will feature a 6-CD/DVD changer entertainment system with optional wireless speakers
– Since the fuel quality in India is a big issue, the diesel variant of the R-class has not been introduced yet. But rigorous tests for various diesel powerplants from Mercedes Benz are already underway
– The R350 uses a 7G-tronic transmission
– Claimed 0-100 km/h acceleration is 8.4 seconds with a top speed limited to 230 km/h
– The rated power for the 3.5-litre V6 mill is 272PS @ 6,000 rpm and the torque output lies at 350 Nm between 2,400 to 5,000 rpm
– The R-class will be available only with the 3.5-litre V6 petrol powerplant as of now
– The 2011 Mercedes Benz R-class makes its way onto the stage!
– Out of the 13-14,000 luxury vehicles, 1,500-2,000 units constitute of luxury SUVs with a year-on-year growth rate of 50%
– Mr. Mitra says that the luxury car market in India is worth 13-14,000 units per year and the year-on-year growth rate for this segment is up to 60%
– Debashish Mitra, Director, Sales and Marketing of Mercedes-Benz India is addressing the media present at the launch
– The 2011 R-class will initially be available only with the 3.5-litre V6 petrol engine
Image Gallery (Click on the image for a larger view):
Head over to the next page for Technical Data of the R-class R350>>>
Technical Specifications of the 2011 Mercedes Benz R-class
|R 350 4MATIC|
|Engine and performance|
|Rated output (kW [hp] at rpm)1||200 /6000|
|Rated torque (Nm at rpm)2||258 lb-ft|
|Compression ratio||10.7 : 1|
|Acceleration 0-100 km/h (s)||8.4|
|Maximum speed (km/h)||210|
|Drive system||Permanent all-wheel drive|
|Final drive ratio||3.70|
|Fuel, emissions & insurance category|
|Tank capacity/incl. reserve (l)||80/13.0|
|Fuel consumption urban (l/100 km) 3)||14.4/10.3 L/100km|
|Emissions class||Euro 5|
|Suspension & steering|
|Front axle||Double wishbone|
|Springs frontSprings rear||Coil springs, single-tube gas-pressureCoil springs, single-tube gas-pressure|
|Tires/wheels front||255/50 R 19|
|Steering||Speed-sensitive rack-and-pinion steering, hydraulic|
|Front brakes||Disc brakes, internally ventilated|
|Rear brakes||Disc brakes|
|Dimensions and weights|
|Curb weight/payload (kg) 4)||2230/650|
|Permissible gross vehicle weight (kg)||2880|
|Maximum roof load (kg)||100|
|Luggage capacity (VDA) min/max (l)||633/2385|
|Perm. trailer load unbraked/braked (kg)||750/2100|
|Perm. drawbar load (kg)||85|
|Turning circle (m)||12.60|
|Overall length (mm)||5157|
|Overall width (mm)||1922|
|Overall height at curb weight (mm)||1677|
|Track, front (mm)||1639|
|Track, rear (mm)||1629|
Flip over to the next page for the R-class launch press release and other details
Mercedes-Benz launches the New R-Class in India Spacious & exceptionally comfortable – Versatility at its best
- Conceived to combine all the best characteristics of a luxury sport sedan with the versatility of an SUV, the 5-door design and finely tuned features of the Mercedes-Benz R-Class enable it to seamlessly and simultaneously fill ones needs and desires like no other vehicle. It’s the very definition of a crossover, redefined for 2011.
- Priced at Rs. 58.79 lakhs (ex-showroom Mumbai), the all new Mercedes-Benz R-Class aims to target the untapped luxury crossover segment in India.
- The premium MPV will be available in the Long Wheel Base R350 4MATIC with a 3498cc V6 petrol engine.
Mumbai – Aiming to create a new niche segment in the luxury bracket, Mercedes-Benz India today launched the all new R-class in India. Combining sedan like performance, all-wheel-drive SUV confidence and Mercedes-Benz safety in a luxurious package with first class seating for up to seven, the R-Class practically defies categorization while redefining practicality.
After attaining huge international success, Mercedes-Benz introduced the all New R-Class in the Indian auto market. India is one of the first markets to witness the introduction of the R-Class and will be available in the Long Wheel Base R350 4MATIC which has a 3498cc V6 petrol engine. The car will also come with bi-xenon headlamps, steel spring suspension in front and AIRmatic (Adaptive Intelligent Ride control) system featuring self-levelling air suspension in the rear to aid comfort and improve driving dynamics.
Speaking on this occasion Mr. Debashis Mitra, Director –Sales & Marketing, Mercedes-Benz India said, “The all new R Class is the latest addition to the successful Mercedes-Benz stable. Like the luxurious and spacious SUVs, the new R-Class treats its occupants to a travelling environment characterised by generous accommodation and highest comfort while ensuring maximum occupant safety. It embodies the passion, performance, design, technology and engineering excellence – values that make us one of the most exciting brands in the world, today. We are assured that this crossover model will be an attractive communication possibility reflecting the fascination and exhilaration of MB products.”
Simply stunning: the design of the R-Class
The new generation R-Class celebrated its world premiere on 31 March 2010 at the New York International Auto Show. India which has emerged strongly in the arena of world-class luxury automobiles is one of the first markets to witness the introduction of this automobile marvel. The R-Class features a new, self-assured appearance, highlighting the unique personality of this versatile vehicle. The overall impression is determined by integrity of design that encapsulates the unique personality of this highly versatile vehicle. The New R-Class seamlessly blends function and style with multi-element headlamps, standard front fog lamps, 18-inch alloy wheels, dual chrome exhaust tips and LED tail lamps.
Powered by a 3.5-litre V6 engine, the R350 4MATIC is capable of generating 272 BHP of max power at 6000 RPM and a maximum torque of 350 N/m at 2400 to 5000 RPM making it one of the most powerful engines in its class. With this extra output and performance (top speed 230 km/h, 0-100 km/h in 8.4 seconds), the R 350 4MATIC demonstrates the high efficiency of the 4MATIC all wheel drive system. Also, to make sure one enjoys all this power as effortlessly as possible, the R 350 4MATIC is equipped as standard with the 7G-TRONIC automatic transmission.
A relaxed environment for both longer journeys and everyday use
Thoughtful accommodations and rich appointments define the R-Class experience. With three luxuriously spacious rows of seating, generous legroom and headroom, rich materials, power windows that include flip-open 3rd-row quarter windows, and numerous armrests and storage areas let every passenger enjoy the ride.
The classic interior – which seems even more spacious with the electric sunroof – makes use of new materials and colour combinations to enhance the high-class appeal and quality of this unique luxury tourer. Also, another benefit in the car is in the form of its large, versatile luggage compartment.
Further, the R-class also features an Audio system with an in-dash six-disc CD/DVD changer and a long list of entertainment options such as eight-inch screens for the rear passengers, a DVD player and wireless speakers. Leather interiors, a leather-covered tilt and telescopic steering wheel, three zone automatic climate controls and a choice of high gloss wood trims are also available.
Mercedes-Benz originated this revolutionary safety system, and it’s still the only manufacturer to offer it standard. A predictive occupant-protection system, PRE-SAFE® acts decisively to prepare for a possible accident, using sensors from two of the active safety systems in the vehicle: Brake Assist and our Electronic Stability Program. If system sensors detect certain vehicle movements that indicate that an accident is possible, PRE-SAFE takes action to help protect the vehicle’s occupants. Reversible electronic tensioners tighten the front seat belts. On vehicles equipped with front-seat memory, PRE-SAFE adjusts the occupied front passenger’s seat to a more favourable position for air-bag and seat-belt effectiveness, as well as both active front head restraints for optimum positioning. In the event of severe skidding, which indicates that a rollover is likely, PRE-SAFE closes the sunroof and side windows.
|Technical Specifications R-Class (R 350 L)|
|No & arrangement of cylinders||V/6|
|Total Displacement||3498 cc|
|Rated Output (kW/hp @ rpm)||200 @ 6000|
|Rated Torque (Nm @ rpm)||350 @ 2400 – 5000|
|Top Speed (km/h)||230|
|Acceleration (0-100 km/h, s)||8.3|
|Tyre size front||255/55 R 18|
|Tyre size rear||255/55 R 19|
|Tank Capacity (l)/including reserve, approx)||80/13|
|Boot capacity (l)||633|
|Turning circle diameter (m)||12.6|
|Kerb weight (kg)||2230|
|Permissible gross vehicle weight (kg)||2880|