Buoyed by the success of the new Kwid, which has already amassed over 100,000 bookings, Renault India Pvt. Ltd has laid out an aggressive product plan for the market till 2019. A new report on Livemint divulges a few key details of the plan:
- Renault plans to launch at least five new models between 2017 and 2019, which will be targeted at multiple segments of the market.
- The new model onslaught will be spearheaded by the new Megane Sedan, which was unveiled last week. The model, slated for an India launch in 2017, will replace the Fluence sedan, while taking on the likes of the VW Jetta and Honda’s upcoming, eight-generation Civic.
- The Megane Sedan will be followed by the new generation Koleos. The premium SUV was unveiled at the 2016 Beijing Auto show, and is expected to go on sale in India sometime in 2017-end or 2018-beginning.
- After the Koleos, the highly anticipated Kaptur will follow suit. The seven-seat crossover will compete with the popular Hyundai Creta, along with the Renault Duster, and is expected to be launched in India by the end of 2017.
- Also read: Duster based Renault KAPTUR for Russia revealed; India bound soon
- However, the most promising product will show up in “another two years or so”, which is one secret model, that will be pitted against one of its kind in the burgeoning Mahindra line-up.
- In 2018, Renault India will launch a compact van that will compete with the Maruti Omni and Eeco.
- Also in the works is a rival to the Maruti Suzuki Vitara Brezza, a compact SUV which is expected to be launched in India in the beginning of 2019.
- All these models are or will be based on the Renault-Nissan Alliance’s CMF platform.
- Later this year, Renault will launch the 1-litre version of the Kwid and with an automated manual transmission (AMT) option, that had been showcased at the 2016 Auto Expo.