UAE’s national airline, Etihad Airways recently introduced their Airbus A380 network in Mumbai. The airlines brought their award winning – The Residence onboard the A380 which is the world’s first three-room suite on a commercial airliner. For a one way ticket of the premium suite from Mumbai to New York, a traveller will have to shell out a whopping INR 25 Lakhs! Following the introduction, the airliner organised a launch event which was jewelled by the presence of some members of the Mumbai Indians cricket team. Etihad and Jet airways jointly sponsor the Mumbai Indians team.
The Flight EY204 of the airliner landed at Chhatrapati Shivaji International Airport in Mumbai from Abu Dhabi on May 1 on the occasion of Maharashtra Day. Mumbai becomes the airline’s fourth A380 destination following London Heathrow, Sydney and New York, with Melbourne set to join on June 1. The good chaps at Etihad Airways skipped the customary water salute, a gesture that marks the arrival of an airline’s first flight to an airport, due to the water crisis prevailing in the state of Maharashtra. With the new aircraft, Etihad Airways will be able to offer an all-A380 daily service in both directions between Mumbai and New York JFK International with a connection over Abu Dhabi. The unique USA customs border protection arrangement will enable guests to pre-clear US customs in Abu Dhabi. The service is operated as a codeshare flight with Etihad Airways’ strategic Indian partner Jet Airways.
The inaugural A380 Mumbai that came to Mumbai had an operational crew included 22 all-Indian cabin crew and Indian pilots. Etihad Airways’ A380 features a total capacity of 496 seats – up to two guests in The Residence, nine First Apartments, 70 Business Studios, and 415 Economy Smart Seats.
Here’s what you get for the money-.
- In-flight chefs create a made-to-order dining experience with fresh ingredients for guests travelling in The Residence and First Class.
- Onboard Food and Beverage Managers, with experience of working in luxury hotels and top restaurants, guide guests travelling in Business Class through the extensive menu options available and provide recommendations on the perfect accompaniment for their meals.
- And a Flying Nanny trained by the world-famous Norland College in the UK is onboard every A380 to provide dedicated childcare support for families travelling with young children.
- 70-configured Business Studios located on the upper deck. All offering direct aisle access, a fully flat bed and an increase of 20 percent in personal space.
Here is what you will get for your money when you book yourself The Residence suite-
- An ultra-private, three-room suite
- A living room with a 32” LCD monitor
- Bedroom with a double bed
- Separate en-suite shower room
- Dedicated personal Butler trained at the world-renowned Savoy Butler Academy in London to look after the needs of its discerning guests.
- A private chef in every cabin ready to custom-create menus as per orders
- The nine First Apartments in First Class are private living spaces featuring a flat-screen television
- A chilled mini-bar
- Personal vanity unit
- Wardrobe and a fully equipped shower room for the exclusive use of First Class guests.
Also, a luxurious lounge, called The Lobby is located between the First Class and Business Class cabins and features two comfortable sofas and a staffed bar. The A380 will operate on one of the five daily scheduled flights between Mumbai and Abu Dhabi. The Mumbai A380 also offers guests with connections to and from popular destinations such as London, Paris, Manchester, Chicago, San Francisco, Toronto, Bahrain, Doha and Jeddah.
The Residence in either direction between Abu Dhabi and Mumbai costs around US$ 5,000 (approx INR 3,32,532); between London and Mumbai, approximately, US$ 26,000 (approx INR 17,29,167); and between New York and Mumbai approximately US$ 38,000 (approx INR 25,27,245).
Here is the video of The Residence suite followed by a gallery-