After a video reveal last week, Mercedes-AMG will show off their GLE63 S Coupe at the ongoing North American International Automotive Show (NAIAS) in Detroit. The GLE Class Coupe is Mercedes’s ticket to the luxury crossover coupe market, eyeing the BMW X6 as a direct competitor. The design of the GLE is quite close to the concept coupe revealed earlier last year. Although purists might shy away, someone who accepts the absurdity of changing times might appreciate the proper coupe like sloping roof-line which stretches back to a steeply raked rear window. What the GLE combines is coupe like flowing lines with a relatively high ground clearance. With the newly unveiled 2016 Mercedes-AMG GLE63 S Coupe 4Matic, the engineers from Affalterbach (AMG) are now also turning their sights on their rivals from BMW’s M division.
Contrary to previous rumors, the GLE63 AMG Coupe abstains from using the twin-turbo 4.0-liter V8 from the C63 AMG and tuns to the lusty 5.5-liter twin-turbocharged V8 with stop/start that pumps out 577 horsepower and 561 pound-feet of torque. 62 miles per hour is dispatched in just 4.2 seconds, while the AMG Speedshift Plus 7G-Tronic seven-speed automatic gearbox routes all power to all four wheels with a 40:60 front/rear split.
For the 2016 Mercedes-AMG GLE63 S Coupe 4matic, the styling sees some AMG-specific changes, which include the A-wing grille, a new front bumper with an integrated airfoil, wheel arch flares, and a small lip spoiler on the tailgate. It’s complimented by a new rear apron that has air outlets at each corner, integrated tailpipes and a diffuser in the center.
The insides are sumptuously trimmed in perforated high-grade exclusive Nappa leather, while there’s a fragrance mister and a high-end Bang & Olufson BeoSound AMG sound system. A special seat upholstery layout with top-stitching and metal AMG badges make for an exclusive look and feel, which is further complemented by the 3-spoke Performance steering wheel with Silver aluminum shift paddles. Other options include performance-oriented items like a sport exhaust system, 22-inch wheels and carbon fiber engine cover.
The standard equipment package on the GLE63 S Coupe models includes (selection):
• ADAPTIVE BRAKE
• ATTENTION ASSIST
• COLLISION PREVENTION ASSIST PLUS
• Power liftgate
• ECO start/stop function
• Door sill panels in brushed stainless steel with AMG lettering
• Floor mats with AMG lettering
• LED Intelligent Light System
• ISOFIX child seat attachment points in the rear
• PRE-SAFE® system
• Tire pressure monitoring system
• Surround View Camera System
• Crosswind Assist
• Heated and ventilated seats for the driver and front passenger
• Sports pedals in brushed stainless steel with rubber studs
• Electrically adjustable front seats
• Harman Kardon® Logic 7® surround sound system
Additional optional extras (selection):
• Bang & Olufsen BeoSound AMG high-end surround sound system
• Driver Assistance Package with DISTRONIC PLUS
• Cross-spoke light-alloy wheels, painted in matt black with a high-sheen finish, with 285/40 R 22 (front) and 325/35 R 22 (rear) tires
• Engine cover in carbon fiber
• Performance exhaust system
• Air Balance Package with fragrance and ionization
• Trim in carbon fiber / black piano lacquer