Mahindra Electric has launched its new four door electric car namely the e2oPlus. The company is terming its new product as an ‘electricCitySmart’ car, the‘e2oPlus’. Boasting zero emissions, the ‘e2oPlus’ is claimed to have a range of 140 km and is priced at Rs. 5.46 lakh (ex-Delhi) for the base P4 variant after taking into consideration the state subsidy and FAME incentive. The e2oPlus is available in 4 trim levels – P2, P4, P6, P8, and four shades of colours namely Coral Blue, Sparkling Wine, Arctic Silver andSolid White.
The Mahindra e2oPlus’ key number are a long-ish range of 140 km on full charge and a decent top speed of 85 km/h. The e2oPlus is claimed to be powered by the latest electric drive train and boasts a reasonably capacious interior owing to its tall boy design. The car can seat four adults and has some features which make it stand out. The e2o can allow its drivers and passenger to do a variety of things such as planning a route, run a check on the car’s health, or remotely cool the car. Other unique features on the e2oPlus include remote diagnostics through telematics, connectivity through smart phone app, a new and advanced infotainment system, regenerative braking, Hill Hold control and REVive for reserve charge and automated messages amongst others.
At Motoroids, we have driven a car and will be bringing a detailed road test review very soon. In the meantime, as quick overview of the new electric family cars is provided below.
Driving and Performance
- Regenerative Braking – Charges the battery of e2oPlus every time its brakes are applied, helping the car recover some of the energy it dispenses.
- Instant Torque – Being lightweight and powered by an electric motor, the e2oPlus offers great acceleration from the standstill
- REVive – REVive is like the reserve fuel on your commuter motorcycles. When the car runs low on energy, REVive can be activated to gain an extra 5-10 kms of range, to help the user reach home or the nearest charging station.
- Easy Home Charging – The e2oPlus can be easily charged through any normal 16 Amp plug point, making it convenient and easy.
- Small Turning Radius – The e2oPlus has a small turning radius of 4.35m making it very easy to Manoeuvre through tight spaces.
- Hill Assist – This feature assists in preventing the e2oPlus from rolling backwards or forwards on a slope, making for safer, more convenient driving.
- Reverse Camera – Aids safer reversing eliminating blind spots.
- Compact yet spacious – The e2oPlus is compact on the outside, though it still has a good amount of knee- and head-room to accommodate four adults in comfort.
Low Cost of Ownership
- Low running costs – Mahindra is claiming that the e2oPlus operates at just 70p/km, beating almost all other cars on running costs.
- Direct Drive Transmission – The e2oPlus operates without a conventional gear box – which means no clutch. This translates to reduced mechanical losses resulting in maximum efficiency.
- Depreciation benefits – Self-employed and businesses can avail tax savings of close to Rs. 1.6 lakhs on purchase of the e2oPlus in the first year itself.
- Low maintenance – Fewer moving parts in the car are claimed to facilitate a low maintenance cost.
- Government incentives – Government tax exemptions, subsidies and incentives make the e2oPlus a relatively cheaper car to buy
- Zero tail-pipe emissions
- Low carbon footprint
Infotainment and Connectivity
- Remote Diagnostics – The e2oPlus has 10 on-board computers that track around 196 performance and health related parameters to ensure that any possible snag is fixed as soon as it crops up.
- Regular Progress Reports – Car performance and driving patterns are analyzed to review the battery’s service requirements which help improve the vehicle’s overall performance.
- Charging Ports – The e2oPlus app informs on the nearest charging station in order to ensure a peaceful drive for the car through the city.
- Smart Phone app connectivity – The e2oPlus app puts the car’s information and control in one’s smart phone. It allows one to lock/unlock the car, retrieve performance metrics and health metrics and draw charging schedules.
A huge image gallery of the new e2oPlus follows, don’t forget clicking on the thumbnails and checking the car out