Mahindra made its entry into the UK automotive market today with the launch of the e2o electric city car. At an event at London’s Design Museum, Mahindra Group Chairman Anand Mahindra unveiled its pricing and specifications. Designed specifically for easy urban commuting, the Mahindra e2o will be available in two trim levels. The entry-level e2o City is priced at £12,995 (INR 12.3 lakhs; approx.), while the higher-spec TechXversion retails at £15,995 and includes a touchscreen infotainment centre with reversing camera, telematics, Revive remote emergency recharging,leather seats, alloy wheels and a rapid charging port. In addition, e2o owners that drive the UK average of 7,900 miles per year, and who charge at home at night on an Economy 7 tariff, will pay under £10 per month on fuel.
Speaking about the e2o’s arrival on British roads, Anand Mahindra, Chairman, Mahindra Group said, “I am very proud to announce that the e2o is now available in the UK and this marks a true milestone for the Mahindra Group. I invite people to come and test drive the Mahindra e2o ‘ElectriCity Car’ and help drive a positive change to the air quality in their cities.Sustainability is at the heart of Mahindra’s business practices and with the introduction of the e2o to the UK market, we are offering a product that perfectly encapsulates our corporate philosophy.”
Pravin Shah, President & Chief Executive of Mahindra’s Automotive operations believes that the e2o is the right car at the right time for the UK market and according to him, “There has never been a better time for people to make the change to electric, and with the e2o there has never been an easier or more affordable way to make this transition. The e2o is an innovative combination of advancements in automotive, electronics and information technologypaired with minimal running costs and zero tailpipe emissions. This makes it the ideal urban runabout or second car for the two-and-a-half-million UK households that can charge the car at home in a driveway or garage.”
The Mayor of London, Boris Johnson MP is enthusiastic about the e2o being launched in London, saying: “I want to congratulate Mahindra on the launch of their new electric car today. Supporting ultra-low emission vehicles has been a priority at City Hall as they can boost air quality, help tackle climate change and reduce fuel costs and I look forward to seeing e2os on London’s streets.”
The e20’s collection of connected features include:
- The e2o Remote smartphone app which allows users to remotely control key functions of their e2o including the ability to pre-heat/cool the car, start and stop charging, route plan and search for nearby charging stations.
- The Remote Charging Scheduler, which is also an app that allows users to schedule charging of their e2o at a time when electricity costs are at their cheapest rate.
- A remote emergency charging feature called Revive, that grants the driver up to 8 miles worth of range if the battery is depleted.
- Telematics – on-board sensors send a data ‘heartbeat’ to Mahindra enabling remote health monitoring and customer alerts.
- The top-end TechX model comes with a Blaupunkt touchscreen infotainment centre, which features satellite navigation with ‘range remaining’ maps, Bluetooth, Wi-Fi hotspot connection, USB, SD card, DAB radio and a built-in reversing camera.
Furthermore, the Mahindra e20 is equipped with dual SRS airbags, Anti-Lock Braking System (ABS), Electronic Stability Control (ESC) and a Regenerative Braking System (RBS) that harnesses energy during braking to extend the car’s range while travelling.