The Powersports division of American Honda Motor Company today announced the globally anticipated 2010 VFR1200F – the bike that was touted to showcase the next generation of Honda technology. The VFR has always been Honda’s technology flagship, and the new machine not only holds true to the tradition but also brings back to life Honda’s V4 heritage. The bike draws heavily from the state-of-the-art MotoGP tech to cater seamlessly to all genres of riders.
Staying true to Honda’s promise of a tech-fest, the bizarre looking new bike incorporates a whole array of the latest wonders of the biking technology. The new generation V4 engine leads the technology bonanza of the VFR and as Honda puts it, ‘sets the stage for Honda’s next 50 years.’
The 1237cc 76 degree V4 powerplant dishes out more than 175PS at 10,000rpm and a torque of 129Nm at 8750rpm. The bike, for the first time in the history of two-wheelers, features a dual clutch automatic transmission that can be used in the manual mode. It features F1-car like paddle shifters in manual mode.
The rest of the features of the bike are way too many to list down in a small news report. Here, however is a brief of all the new stuff that the bike features.
- Honda MotoGP V-4 engine technology and architecture bring cutting-edge performance to the VFR1200F.
- Unique cylinder layout with rear two cylinders located innermost on the crankshaft and front cylinders located outboard narrows the rider interface aboard the VFR1200F.
- Throttle By Wire for next-generation throttle response.
- Optional Dual Clutch Automatic Transmission with manual mode and automatic mode with two D/S modes and paddle-style shifters offers unparalleled freedom through innovative technology.
- Next-generation shaft drive system with offset pivot point and sliding constant-velocity joint for a new level of shaft-drive performance and control.
- Transferable one-year, unlimited-mileage limited warranty; extended coverage available with a Honda Protection Plan.
- Light and compact 1237cc liquid-cooled 76-degree V-4 pumps out amazing levels of power with a distinctive V-4 feel and sound.
- Symmetrically Coupled Phase-shift Crankshaft uses 28-degree crankpin offset to eliminate primary engine vibration.
- Asymmetrical exhaust lengths between front and rear cylinders boost power production and enhance power feel.
- Lightweight and compact Unicam® valvetrain allows for significantly smaller cylinder heads.
- Honda slipper clutch in manual-shift model allows unencumbered sport riding.
- GP technology layer-concept aero fairing for unrivaled air management.
- Honda Pro Arm® single-sided swingarm with single gas-charged shock delivers cutting-edge rear suspension action; features handy remote spring preload adjuster, rebound damping adjustability and 5.1 inches of travel.
- Stout, sport-oriented 43mm inverted cartridge fork with spring preload adjustability and 4.7 inches of travel.
- New controls with smoother and more precise tactile feel enhance the riding experience.
- New-technology seat construction permits a higher level of seat shaping and forming details.
- Saddlebag mounts come standard on both versions of the VFR1200F
- Model: VFR1200F / VFR1200F with Dual Clutch Automatic Transmission
- Engine Type: 1237cc liquid-cooled 76° V-4
- Bore and Stroke: 81mm x 60mm
- Compression Ratio: 12.0:1
- Valve Train: SOHC; four valves per cylinder
- Induction: PGM-FI with automatic enrichment circuit, 44mm throttle bodies and 12-hole injectors
- Ignition: Digital transistorized with electronic advance
- Transmission: Six-speed (VFR1200F) / Six-speed automatic with two modes and manual mode (VFR1200F with Dual Clutch Automatic Transmission)
- Final Drive: Shaft
- Suspension: Front: 43mm cartridge fork with spring preload adjustability; 4.7 inches travel
- Rear: Pro Arm single-side swingarm with Pro-Link® single gas-charged shock with remote spring preload adjustability and rebound damping adjustability; 5.1 inches travel
- Brakes: Front: Dual full-floating 320mm discs with CBS six-piston calipers with ABS
- Rear: Single 276mm disc with CBS two-piston caliper with ABS
- Tires: Front: 120/70 ZR17 radial
- Rear: 190/55 ZR17 radial
- Wheelbase: 60.8 inches (1545mm)
- Rake (Caster angle): 5°30’
- Trail: 101.0mm (4.0 inches)
- Seat Height: 32.1 inches (815mm)
- Fuel Capacity: 4.9 gallons
- Color: Red
- Kerb Weight*: 591 pounds (VFR1200F) / 613 pounds (VFR1200F with Dual Clutch Automatic Transmission)