This is the best look yet at Maruti’s upcoming XA Alpha (codenamed XBA) Compact SUV. With styling that draws heavily from the Suzuki iV-4 concept SUV shown at the 2013 Frankfurt motor show, this new Maruti compact SUV shall finish under 4 meters in length. To take on the Ford Ecosport, the XBA will fill the void that Maruti Suzuki has been looking to fill since compact SUVs took the nation by storm.
Suzuki iV-4 Concept
- The car looks like a mini- Vitara, especially around the glasshouse with its floating C-pillar and a blacked out A-pillar, while the front end, though under wraps will bear a clean look- aggressive grille from the iV-4 could make it here.
- Minimal cladding around the wheel arches and body ensure uncluttered styling, and there’ll also be a spare wheel at the back- although this prototype seems to be missing it.
- There’ll be a little muscle to the bodywork as well, in the form of mildly flared arches.
- 15 inch, 5-spoke wheels with a twin spoke design will do duty on the iV-4.
- Although there’s minimal body cladding, there seems to be a black strip of under-cladding all through the sides.
- Being a sub-4 meter subcompact, there’s minimal front and rear overhangs.
- Up front, there’s going to be a twin barrel headlamp unit,but likely to come without projector units while the entire front fascia is somewhat reminiscent of the VW Polo, though the image is from an unusual angle to say that conclusively.
- Like on the iV-4 Concept, the front bumper will feature a similar design, with the central air dam and side vents bearing fog lamps could be integrated.
- The antenna is not integrated in the rear windscreen, its a separate unit, while the car seems to be sport large ORVMs.
- It may well have floating roof roof rails in satin silver finish, while the antenna is not integrated in the rear windscreen- its an outdated, separate unit.
- The Vitara-like floating roof-line drops towards the rear, through the panel between the windows and the roof is looks unusually large.
Suzuki iv-4 Concept
The XBA will borrow its engines from the existing Maruti range, so expect the 1.3 liter DDis unit for sure, apart from the 1.4 liter petrol unit from the Ciaz/Ertiga. According to Autocar India (spy-image source as well), Maruti may unveil the production version of this all-new compact SUV at the Auto Expo 2016 and it could be called Maruti iV4.
The Maruti XA Alpha Concept: the car which previewed Maruti’s idea of a sub-4 meter crossover