The all-new Dacia (Renault) Duster was showcased at 2017 Frankfurt Motor Show. With more than one million cars sold, the Duster has been revised and updated seven successful years after the model was first released. This iconic car has been renewed, with new styling, equipment and a completely updated interior. Meanwhile, Duster is claimed to be as spacious as ever, boasting the same off-road ability and the same low price tag.
For the European market, the all-new Duster comes with a choice of two petrol engines: the SCe 115 (2WD and 4WD versions) and the TCe 125 (2WD and 4WD versions) which both use a manual gearbox. There are also two diesel engines: the dCi 90 (2WD version) and the dCi 110 (2WD and 4WD versions), again both mated to a manual gearbox, although the dCi 110 engine (2WD version) can be specified with EDC automatic transmission. An LPG version of the SCe 115 unit is also optionally available.
The car’s new design underlines the All-new Duster’s SUV pedigree. At the front is a distinctive grille which extends to the head lights positioned at the car’s extreme front corners. A new lighting signature including LED daytime running lights divided into three sections. A more horizontal bonnet with sculpted crease lines is designed to offer a rugged appearance. A larger, mass-coloured, scratch-resistant front skid plate reinforces the All-New Duster’s adventurer credentials and ensures that the vehicle never loses its smart look.
From the sides the higher belt line adds to the impression of robustness and protection. The windscreen has been brought forward 100 mm and is more steeply raked, which makes the cabin longer to look more spacious. The new aluminium roof bars, a frequent SUV hallmark, extend the line of the windscreen for a more dynamic profile. New 17-inch wheels get more prominent wheel arches while the black wheel arch trims highlight the car’s adventurer credentials.
At the rear, broad haunches provide the vehicle with a modified stance. Rear lights are located at the extreme corners of the car. Dacia’s rear lighting signature – four red stacked squares – has been adapted for Duster. Completing the design at the rear is a wider, chrome-effect, mass-coloured rear skid plate.
Storage capacity has been increased by 5.8 litres to a total of 28.6 litres. Many of the easy-to-access stowage spaces have been redesigned to make the travelling experience simpler, including the new 2.7-litre stowage tray situated under the passenger seat. The All-new Duster has the same boot capacity as its predecessor: 445 dm3 for the 2WD version and 376 dm3 for the 4WD version.
The designers worked from a clean slate to come up with a completely new interior and provide a cabin that is modern, functional and particularly comfortable:
- The new dashboard is more vertical and driver-focused courtesy of its S shape.
- The grain of the dashboard trim (refined 80%), the careful attention paid to the fit and finish and the use of a matte colour ensure a status-enhancing interior.
- The centre console fascia accommodates a higher-positioned MediaNav Evolution display for clear, easy access. The new piano key type controls give the cabin a contemporary feel.
- The three rotary controls for the automatic climate control match the three air vents located at the top of the dashboard.
- The steering wheel can be adjusted for height (40 mm) and reach (50 mm) to allow the driver to select the most appropriate driving position. This four-spoke steering wheel, fitted to all Dacia models, has the horn push in the centre and proudly displays the Dacia logo. The steering wheel on high-end versions stands out through its exclusive Soft Feel finish that is both durable and pleasant to the touch.
- The centre console features additional storage capacity. The hand brake has been moved to free up space, while the new gear lever sports satin-finished chrome inserts.
- The sculpted door panels incorporate robust door releases and armrests that are pleasant to the touch. The new seats are more enveloping and easy to adjust.
New seat design with a new frame and denser foam for improved lateral support and durability. The seat cushion is 20 mm longer and now comes with new adjustable head rests. The driver’s seat comes with an armrest, lumbar adjustment and a new height-adjustment system (60 mm). New upholstery features a comfortable and modern 3D weave and top-stitching to enhance the All-New Duster’s SUV feel.
The new equipment list on the all-new Duster include:
- Multi-view camera
- Blind Spot Warning
- Curtain airbags
- Automatic air conditioning
- Hands-free card
- Automatic head lights
- Keyless entry
The car maker intends to bring even more of what customers love to continue to grow the popular brand. With sales exceeding 434,000 vehicles from January to August 2017, Dacia posted an increase in sales of more than 11 per cent. The All-New Duster will go on sale in the UK from the middle of 2018.