Reports on Indian Autos Blog have unearthed new intel about the upcoming Tata Nano GenX, including these images and other specific details. The next generation Nano, tentatively scheduled for a launch next month (May 2015), will get a significant overhaul, including the inclusion of an automated manual transmission and a functional boot lid.
- Styling refers to the F-Tronic and Active concepts showcased at the 2014 Auto Expo. Up front, a new bumper shows the way, and is characterized by a large, ‘smiley’ airdam with mesh inserts and circular fog lamps. A single piece of black trim bearing the Tata logo, officially addressed as the ‘Infinity grille’, runs across the base of the hood, while the headlamps now get a smoked effect.
- At the back, there’s a new bumper with a mesh filled airdam mirroring the shape of the one in front, but without fog lamps. The rear’s topped off with a new spoiler, while the rear windscreen now grows up.
- This will be the first time the Nano will be available with functional boot lid, which is supported on two hydraulic mounts, and lends access to an usable, 110 liters of boot space.
- Inside, apart from a reworked dashboard and newer upholstery, there’ll be the signature, Tata 3-spoke steering wheel from the Bolt and Zest part bins, but stripped off the integrated controls for the music system.
- Another first for a Nano – the GenX Easy Shift will sport an all-new third generation automated manual transmission (AMT), with a creep function as well as a Sports mode!
- The 624cc, two-cylinder engine remains the same, while the Nano GenX Easy Shift will purportedly return 21.9 km/l, as opposed to a figure of 25.4 km/l* for the Nano Twist. Also, the GenX will come with a larger 24 liter fuel tank.
- Variants on offer for the GenX Nano will be XE, XM and XT for the manual, while the AMT equipped Easy Shift is likely to come in XM and XT variants only.
- New shades for the GenX Nano are Pearl White, Meteor Silver, Sangria Red (all-new), Damson Purple, Royal Gold, Dazzle Blue and Persian Rose.