Prime Minister Narendra Modi has inaugurated India’s first 14 lane Expressway – The Delhi-Meerut Expressway (Delhi Section) from Nizamuddin Bridge to UP border, developed by NHAI and Welspun Enterprises Ltd. under Hybrid Annuity Model. Designed for a speed up to 120 km/h, this expressway is claimed to reduce the travel time from 45 minutes to just 8 minutes.
This milestone occasion also witnessed the presence of:
- Nitin Gadkari – Union Minister for Road Transport & Highways, Shipping and Water Resources, River Development & Ganga Rejuvenation
- Mansukh L. Mandaviya – Honorable Union Minister of State for Road, Transport & Highways, Shipping and Chemical & Fertilizers
- Maheish Girri – Member of Parliament, Shri Rajendra Agrawal – Member of Parliament
- B. K. Goenka – Chairman of Welspun Group
- Sandeep Garg – MD & CEO, Welspun Enterprises Ltd.
Welspun Enterprises Ltd. developed the Delhi-Meerut Expressway (Package I) in a record time of 18 months as against the scheduled 30 months. The project consists of a six-lane expressway in the centre, flanked by two four-lane highways on either side – making it 14-lanes in total. The stretch also features:
- India’s first Cycling Track on both sides
- Vertical Gardens
- Solar panels for Lighting
- Drip water irrigation
- Replicas of prominent monuments like Qutub Minar & Ashoka Stambh
- Advanced Traffic Management Systems (ATMS)
- Plantation of new trees