Ever since its advent in the year 2010, the BMW K 1600 GT and GTL have been at the very forefront of serious, no-compromise touring. The K 1600 GT, even today, is one of the best touring motorcycles money could buy and the Model Year 2017 version has got even better with an array of enhancements.
The 2017 K1600 GT gets more electronics, some design changes and even more sophistication. BMW, however, haven’t tinkered with the engine for this upgrade and the performance on the bike remains unchanged. The 6-cylinder in-line engine on the tourer machine delivers 160 hp of power and 175 Nm of torque. The bike now meets the EU4 norms.
While the K 1600 GT was always excellent at cheating the wind and other elements, its qualities in this area have been further optimised. The new K 1600 GT gets redesigned side trim parts and enlarged slipstream deflectors. The 2017 model also gets three new colour schemes.
Electronic Suspension with Auto Damping
The new K 1600 GT gets electronically controlled suspension Dynamic ESA. There are two adjustment modes “Road” and “Dynamic” – former for comfortable real world riding and latter for a stiffer setup for enhanced grip and dynamic ability. The highlight of this system is its capability to constantly and automatically adapt the damping of the suspension to deliver the best ride quality
New reverse assist
The bike gets a new reverse assist, which can be simply activated from the left-handlebar panel at the press of a button. Movement itself is initiated by the rider by pressing on the starter motor button.
Clutchless up and downshifts
The Shift Assistant Pro is available as an option and allows the rider to shift up and down without activating the clutch. The clutchless shifting mechanism offers convenience as well as better dynamic performance.
New instrument dials
The speedometer and engine speed display in the new K 1600 GT now have newly designed dials. The speedometer now prominently bears the inscription K 1600 GT.
Emergency Call and Assistance
“Intelligent Emergency Call” is available as an option. If an emergency situation or an accident occurs, the intelligent emergency call is activated automatically or manually, sending the position data of the motorcycle, and therefore the coordinates of the scene of the accident. This also sets in motion BMW assistance via the qualified BMW Call Center.
The salient features of the new 2017 BMK K1600 GT are provided below, followed by a mega image gallery
- 6-cylinder in-line engine including new catalytic converters and adapted data status according to EU4 requirements, with an unchanged output of 118 kW (160 hp) at 7 750 rpm and a maximum torque of 175 Nm at 6 500 rpm.
- Electronic suspension Dynamic ESA with automatic damping adaptation as standard.
- Reverse assist for even simpler manoeuvrability as an optional equipment item ex works.
- Shift Assistant Pro for shifting up and down without clutch as an ex-works option.
- Instruments with newly designed dials. Speedometer with K 1600 GT inscription.
- Intelligent Emergency Call as an ex works option for rapid assistance in the event of an accident or in emergency situations.
- Optimised wind and weather protection due to enlarged slipstream deflectors and newly designed side trim parts.
- M dynamic design.
- Three new colour variants: Mars Red metallic, Blackstorm metallic and Lupine Blue metallic / Blackstorm metallic.