Hero Motocorp, as a part of their five product unveil today in New Delhi, has also uncovered the revolutionary RNT diesel hybrid scooter. The new scooter, in addition to being the first ever hybrid diesel scooter in the country, also features technology which is unheard of in the mainstream segment. The Hero RNT diesel hybrid scooter, apart from featuring diesel hybrid tech, also introduces turbocharging to the segment with its liquid cooled 4-stroke direct injection turbocharged diesel engine.
The 150cc Hero RNT boasts peak power of an impressive 13.5bhp @4000 rpm, and a mind boggling 35Nm of peak torque at an ultra low 1600 rpm. We also expect some absolutely mind shattering fuel efficiency figures from this scooter too. The load carrying capacity would be something extraordinary as well, going by those specs. The marvel of a new engine is mated with a six-speed constant mesh transmission
Doing suspension duties up front on the Hero RNT are 37mm telescopic forks and at the rear you have a swing arm with adjustable hydraulic shock absorbers. Front wheels are 2.75 x17 cast aluminium units with 120/70 – R17 rubber, while at the rear you have 4.00×17 cast aluminium wheels with 150/60 – R17 rubber.
The new bike weighs 136kg, has a fuel tank capacity of 6 liters for mains and manages to do a 0-60km/g sprint in 5 seconds. Top speed, however is limited to a rather slow 70 kmph.
Disc brakes do the stopping duties, with a 300mm rotor and multi piston caliper up front and a 220mm rotor with single piston caliper at the rear.
Hybrid power is provided by a 16 cell li-ion, 500CCA, 12 amp, dry cell technology batter, which can be mounted in any direction. The alternator features 1500W of continuous electric power , developing 6.5 Amp of current at 230 Volts
Key Features and Highlights as mentioned in the official release include
- Rugged, utilitarian and practical design
- Wide flat loading surfaces with strap bars, as well as multi-use folding front, rear and side racks, a large comfortable seat and spacious footboards
- 2WD via optional electric front hub motor which provides up to 1KW of power to the front wheel
- Controllable using secondary throttle
- Works independently or in conjunction with standard chain drive
- Integrated stationary generator mode providing 1500W of continuous electrical power or 6.5A @ 230V Removable secondary LED headlight with internal Li-ion battery. Front mounted LED main headlights for excellent visibility even with the front rack loaded