The maniac called the 1290 Super Duke R gets even more crazier in 2017. KTM has revealed its 2017 product portfolio at the ongoing 2016 EICMA motorcycle show in Milan and hogging the limelight is the biggest of them all, the all new 1290 Super Duke R or as KTM calls it, THE BEAST 2.0. Fit to play an Autobot (or even a Decepticon) in the next Transformers installment, the 2017 KTM 1290 Super Duke R gets a major visual overhaul and its biggest highlight is the all new LED headlamp with a split design.
KTM’s official release states that every part was reconsidered to perform on and off the racetrack for a truly READY TO RACE motorcycle. The new LED headlight is claimed to add no unnecessary parts or weight. The new multifunctional TFT-dashboard, on the other hand, displays all important information in a clear and bright display. Apart from the new headlight, the new 1290 Super Duke R also dons new body panels which give the motorcycle a muscular look.
On technology front, the motorcycle now features keyless ignition and a TFT instrument cluster which can be clubbed with the optional KTM MY RIDE multimedia system. The system lets you connect your smartphone and media player to the TFT display and access various features. The motorcycle also features MSC (stability control) as standard, along with MTC traction control, Bosch Cornering ABS, selectable rider modes (three modes), and a supermoto mode which allows the rider to lock and slide the rear wheel.
The optional packs includes Performance and Action packs. The Performance pack offers a quickshifter which works both ways (up and down shift) which is seen on many flagship 2017 products, along with torque control Motor Slip Regulation (MSR) and MY RIDE. Then there is the Track option gets you selectable engine mapping, MTC slip control, launch control and switchable anti-wheelie. MSR is designed to provide additional assistance if it identifies an impending difference between front and rear wheel speed when decelerating on surfaces with a low coefficient of friction.
What about performance?
It’s fast, really fast because despite making it Euro IV emission compliant, the engineers have managed to pack in a marginal performance hike. The 1290 Super Duke R now bristles with more power from its 1,301 cc LC8 twin-cylinder engine — 177 hp to be precise (against 173 hp on the outgoing model) — with its reworked cylinder head and intake. The new model also features 48mm WP suspensions is stiffer for better handling and can be adjusted for rebound and preload.
Watch the motorcycle in action in the official video below:
KTM 1290 Super Duke Features at a glance courtesy KTM Official Fanpage Facebook:
- New LED headlight and LED daytime running lights
- New bodywork with sharper rear end, new tank spoilers and air intakes
- Two new color schemes
- Wider, lower handlebar positioned further to the front
- Transponder key system KTM RACE ON
- Cruise control
- Multifunctional TFT display and illuminated menu switch
- Optional “Performance Pack” with Motor Slip Regulation (MSR), quickshifter+ and KTM MY RIDE
- Optional “Track Pack” with ‘Track’ ride mode which allows freely selectable engine mappings, anti-wheelie off, MTC slip adjust and launch control
- MSC (Motorcycle Stability Control) with cornering ABS by Bosch incl. Supermoto mode, ride mode technology and multi-stage, lean-angle sensitive Motorcycle Traction Control (MTC)
- Advanced LC8 V-Twin (Euro 4 compliant) now with 130 kW with power output of 177 hp
- 10 mm shorter intake flange
- New resonator chambers
- New higher compression ratio of 13.6:1 thanks to the flat design of machined titanium inlet valves with chromium nitride PVD coating
- Ultra lightweight chrome-molybdenum steel trellis frame with bolt-on rear steel trellis subframe
- 48 mm USD split front forks by WP suspension with separate damping circuits, harder fork springs and a sportier setup. Rebound and damping are adjustable
- WP shock absorber with a harder fork spring (10.0 N/mm). The preload of the shock absorber as well as the setup of the fork and the shock absorber have been revised for high-speed excellence, fully adjustable.
- WP steering damper
- Ultra-lightweight, single-sided swingarm
- Metzeler M7RR super sport tires
Check out the complete image gallery of the 2017 KTM 1290 Super Duke R below.