The new BMW Z4 is launched in India today at Bavaria Motors, Pune. BMW Z4 is available at all BMW dealerships across India as a CBU (Completely built-Up) unit from today. The car is available in a petrol variant at a beginning price range of INR 68,90,000 (Z4 sDrive 35i). The Z4 sDrive35i Design Pure Traction is available for Rs 69.9 lakh. The interior of the Design Pure Traction features better interior and some exterior additions to the standard model.
Philipp von Sahr, President, BMW Group India said, “The new BMW Z4 embodied the excitement of dynamism and aesthetics in a more uncompromising style than ever before. It represents a time-honoured and yet alluringly contemporary interpretation of the traditional roadster concept. Thr classical proportions and unmistakable athletic character, armed with a raft of design and equipment innovations, bring more excitement to the newBMW Z4.”
While the volumes for the Z4 won’t be very strong, as its a high end car, BMW still considers that the Z4 is important for building the brand.
The defining characteristic of the Z4 are its sweeping bonnet, long wheelbase, low beltline and low-slung rear end. The low seating position of the Z4 is positioned just ahead of the rear axle giving the driver and passenger a particularly intense experience of the longitudinal and lateral forces working on the rear wheels. The hardtop roof on the car can be opened at the touch of a button while the car is moving at up to 25 mph (40 km/h) in an automated process lasting 19 seconds.
Here are some images from the launch:
Internationally, the Z4 is available with a variety of engines. These include
• TwinPower Turbo 2.0-liter four cylinder engine, with 240 horsepower and 352Nm of torque. Combined with the 8 speed auto, it propels the Z4 from 0 – 100 kmph in 5.6
• The BMW Z4 sDrive35i features BMW’s N54 TwinPower Turbo 3.0-liter inline-6, producing 300 hp and 407 Nm of torque. Mated with the 7 speed DCT transmission it does 0 – 100 kmph in five seconds
• The top of the line Z4 sDrive35is features a 3.0 liter engine with 335 hp and 450Nm of torque and the 7-speed DCT. The top model goes from 0 – 60 mph in just 4.8 seconds.
The standard Xenon headlights of the new BMW Z4 have a slim design and extend well into the front wheel arches. They feature LED light rings which emit daytime driving light in the brand’s hallmark style. The integrated turn signal indicators have chrome-coloured surrounds, which lend further emphasis to the sophisticated character of the light units.
A total of 11 external paint finishes are available for the new BMW Z4, including the new Mineral Grey metallic, Glacier Silver metallic and Valencia Orange metallic, which can only be ordered together with the Hyper Orange package.
New interior additions to standard specification include high-gloss black surrounds for the central air vents and the iDrive control system’s folding Control Display, which comes as part of the optional navigation system. Elsewhere, exquisite Fineline Anthracite wood has been added to the selection of interior trim strips available as an option for the new BMW Z4.
Then there is the optional M Sport package, which includes Adaptive M suspension, 18-inch M light-alloy wheels and an M aerodynamics package with large air intakes in the front wing and a rear bumper inlay painted Anthracite metallic. Features such as sports seats, an M leather steering wheel, M driver’s footrest, M door sill finishers and an anthracite-colored roof liner are additional features on the M pack. The Aluminum Carbon trim strip, M leather gear lever knob and grey dials for the instrument cluster lend the finishing touches to the interior ambience.
Equipment list includes
• COMFORT, SPORT and SPORT+ modes
• DSC stability system
• Choice of auto boxes
• Servotronic function
• Electronically controlled dampers, if these items are specified
• Xenon headlights
• Automatic climate control
• Heated glass rear window
• Soft Close Automatic function for the boot lid
• Runflat tires with a tire pressure monitor
• CD player, AUX-IN socket and 11 loudspeakers
• Optional Premium Sound System with higher output and 14 loudspeakers
• Optional navigation system with 3D view – on the 8.8-inch iDrive monitor.
• 12 GB of capacity for personal music collections.
• High Beam Assistant
• Park Distance Control with sensors at the front and rear of the car
• ConnectedDrive Services options allow use of internet-based information and entertainment services inside the car.
• Real Time Traffic Information function
• The range of BMW ConnectedDrive features available for the new BMW Z4 also includes BMW TeleServices, BMW Remote Services, Concierge Services and enhanced Automatic Collision Notification with automatic vehicle location and accident severity detection.