Yamaha have unveiled the 2013 edition of their iconic FJR as the FJR 1300 A – the machine that invented a new segment altogether. In its newest avatar, the Sports Tourer now features aggressive new styling, a new headlight cowl, new side fairing and several other technical changes.
The FJR 1300A now comes with a D-mode for varying throttle mappings, allowing the users to choose between sporty or relaxed engine character. Traction control is standard on the new FJR1300A. The system is designed to erase the perils on wet and unpaved roads. The windscreen is now pushbutton-adjustable for better wind buffeting. The seat too is thicker, softer, and is height adjustable to accommodate tall or short riders with equal ease. The handlebars too are now three-way adjustable. The there is Cruise Control for those open highways – a feature you generally find only in high end cars. The bike has been priced at $15890 or close to Rs 8.5 lakh in the US
Here’s what’s new for 2013 in the FJR 1300A, followed by specifications, video and image gallery:
• Design changes – new upper cowl, new under cowl, new fairing.
• New electrically adjustable windscreen with twice the adjustment speed.
• Yamaha D-Mode system with T-Mode or S-Mode for relaxed or sporty behavior.
• New cruise control adjusts speed via a single push to the switch or, for larger adjustments, by continuously pushing the switch.
• New handlebar switches on both right and left control heated-grip temperature, electronic windscreen adjustments, and the instrument panel display. There is also a knob for headlight beam adjustment.
• Traction Control
• New dash and instrument panel
• New front and rear suspension
• The engine’s cylinders feature a liner-less design with direct plating to the cylinder wall for superior heat dissipation.
• 1298cc, DOHC, 16-valve, liquid-cooled inline four-cylinder engine delivers power and torque for an unequaled spread of muscle over a wide rpm range.
Type 1298cc liquid-cooled inline 4-cylinder; DOHC, 16 valves
Compression Ratio 10.8:1
Ignition TCI: Transistor Controlled Ignition
Transmission 5-speed; multiplate wet clutch
Final Drive Shaft
Tires / Front 120/70-ZR17 radial
Tires / Rear 180/55-ZR17 radial
Peak torque 140Nm @ 7000 rpm
Peak power 146bhp @ 8000 rpm