BMW has revealed all details and photographs of its 2010 R1200 GS and the R1200 Adventure. BMW’s 1200GS has been topping the sales chart in its category since quite some time. The impending launch of the Ducati Multistrada 1200 and Yamaha Super Terene 1200 in mid 2010 seems to have motivated BMW to up its ante sooner than later.
The 2010 GS can be distinguished from its earlier models from the black colored intake manifolds and magnesium colored cylinder head covers which have two instead of four bolts earlier.
- The cubic capacity of the engine remains unchanged at 1170cc but it has been redesigned to include two chain driven overhead cams per cylinder
- The engine produces a peak power output of 110bhp at 7750 rpm and 120Nm of torque at 6000 rpm and it revs for 500rpm more till 8500rpm compared to the earlier one.
- The bore and stroke ratio is unchanged at 101:73 millimeters
- The Pistons are re-designed cast aluminium ones to match the alteration in combustion chamber geometry
- The throttle body butterflies are in black measuring 50mm compared to the 47mm silver on the earlier model
- The exhaust now features a flap whose opening and closing is controlled by an electric motor. The engine now makes a deep boxer roar
- The six-speed gearbox remains the same though the ratios have been altered and secondary transmission has been increased from 2.82:1 to 2.91:1.
- The R1200GS will be offerd in 4 color options namely non-metallic Alpine White and Magma Red while Ostra Grey in matt metallic finish and Sapphire Black in metallic finish.
- The R1200 Adventure will be offered in two color options namely matt metallic Smoke Grey and metallic Brilliant Yellow.
- The windshield features larger hand-bolts enabling better grip in adjusting it position.
The Options list includes:
- Enduro Electronic Suspension Adjust.
- BMW Motorrad Integral ABS (semi-integral, on-demand).
- Chrome-plated exhaust system.
- Heated hand grips.
- Hand protectors (Adventure: standard).
- Case holder (Adventure: case support for aluminum case).
- Cross-spoke wheels (Adventure: standard).
- On-board computer with oil level warning.
- Low rider’s seat (R 1200 GS).
- Lowered suspension (R 1200 GS).
- Anti-theft warning system with remote control.
- LED direction indicators.
- Off-road tires (Adventure).
- Enduro transmission (provides a short first gear on the Adventure).
- Additional halogen headlight (Adventure).
- Availability of power reduced to 98 HP and 91 RON.