Entering season 4 of the T1 Prima Truck Racing Championship, Tata Motors will showcase an all-new 1000 bhp T1 Prima race truck. The fourth season of the T1 Prima Truck Racing Championship will be held on Sunday, March 19, 2017, at the Buddh International Circuit (BIC), Greater Noida.
With over double the power in comparison to the T1 race trucks competing in season 4, the 1000 bhp race truck will add extra dimensions of speed and character to T1. Similar to race trucks that compete under the umbrella of the FIA in the United Kingdom and Europe, the 1000 bhp T1 race truck is an example of the capability and flexibility of the Tata Prima.
The engine of the 1000 bhp T1 race truck is being developed in collaboration with Cummins Inc. of the U.S. According to Tata Motors, the new T1 race truck is the most powerful truck built in India by far. The 12 litre ISGe Cummins engine is capable of producing 1040 hp at 2600 rpm and 3500 Nm of torque between 1600-2200 rpm. This engine, mounted in the center of the chassis for equal weight distribution, helps the model accelerate from 0-160 kmph within 10 seconds The power is managed by an all-new ZF 16-speed gear box, making it fastest race truck developed by Tata Motors. With high performance rotating parts made of special materials, the engine is meant to withstand high temperature and pressure that a race truck is subject to on a race track.
Speaking at the occasion, Ravindra Pisharody, Executive Director – Commercial Vehicles, Tata Motors, said, “After having hosted three successive T1 seasons, we at Tata Motors are happy to announce our next big innovation in the form of the 1000 bhp T1 Prima race truck. Built with specifications similar to that of trucks that race globally, the vehicle was developed in a record time 12 months – a demonstration of teamwork, speed and capability. With this new track based machine, we are truly ahead of contemporary; we are Future Ready and through T1 we’ve proved time and again to showcase a distinctive partnership between sporting and technological excellence for the Tata Motors brand.”
Following are the specifications of the 1000 bhp Race Truck:
- Engine – 1040 HP, 12 litre engine mounted in the centre of the chassis for equal weight distributions over axles.
- Gearbox – 16 speed gear box with hydraulic assisted gear shifting which gives comfort to the driver while shifting the gears.
- Chassis – Box type frame,specially made with 2 cross members only.
- Sub-frame – Reinforced with frame to enhance structural rigidity of frame, as well for packaging components.
- Racing Seat – Inclined (slipping mode) type.
- Steering Wheel – Detachable type fitted with 20-degree castor angle for better steer-ability and self-centering at corners.
- Cabin – Day cab fitted with roll cage.
- Engine Cooling System – Intercooler mounted vertically and inclined mounted radiator with 2 cooling fans inside the closed duct. Additional nozzles for water spray on radiator and intercooler to enhance cooling efficiency.
- Braking – Front and rear axle mounted with disc type brakes for higher braking efficiency and speedy cooling.
- Tyres and Wheel Rims – Racing specific slick type smooth tread tyres.
- Suspensions – 2 leaf springs, pneumatic shock absorbers with 3 adjustment and displacement sensors.
- Brake Disc Cooling – Air pressurized water fed to brake discs through sensor based nozzle jets. Primary cooling through continuous water flow and secondary jet operated automatically on increase of brake disc temp arrangement has 3 aluminium tanks with a total capacity 180 litres of water.
- Fuel System– Light-weight 80 litre aluminium tank and fuel cooler.
- Power cut off switch – Mounted at rear, operated manually, as well as mechanically.
- Electronics system – App based (Wi-Fi enabled) remotely controlled diagnosis.
- Driver Information System – Provision of rear view camera, GPS etc. Display unit with touchscreen.