When a motorcycle finishes something as Herculean as the Dakar rally without an engine change, a very deserving, ‘Well Engineered’ stamp is plastered on its mechanicals by default. The TVS RTR 450 proved its mettle for a second successive year at the 9,319 kilometer long strenous event and was proudly showcased at the Auto Expo 2016 in its FX guise.
Powering the RTR 450 FX is a 449.40cc, 4-valve, liquid cooled engine fueled by a Synerjet digital EFI system that pushes out 55bhp at 10,000 rpm. An Akrapovic header pipe and muffler, finished in Titanium ensure the gases gush out with some good audio, while a 6-speed sequential gearbox takes care of transmission duties.
A 13-liter fuel tank sits atop a half perimeter frame made out of Chrome – Molybdenum, 300 mm front and 220 mm Brembo brakes bring this dust storm to a halt, while WP front telescopic forks upfront with 300 mm of travel are adjustable for rebound and compression and hold a 21″ wheel between themselves. The rear suspension too is a WP unit which is a multiadjutable Trax rear shock, utilizing a linkage and rod system and offers 330 mm of travel. The whole package tips the scales at 135 kilos and boasts of a power-to-weight ratio of 410 bhp/tonne!
While this competition spec machine in all probability won’t make it to general production, how we hope a slightly different iteration, powered by that 450cc engine in a different state of tune makes it to production in an Adventure-tourer guise. TVS must’ve learnt many things participating in the Dakar Rally held near the Andes, and even when it took on something of “Himalayan” proportions, it emerged victorious at the Raid de Himalaya in 2014 and 15. We hope they’re listening.
- Engine: 4 stroke DOHC, 4 valve Sherco technology
- Engine Size: 449.40 cc (27.42 cu in)
- Bore x Stroke mm [3.74 x 2.50 in]
- Fuel System: Synerject digital electronic fuel injection
- Cooling: Liquid system with forced circulation
- Starting: Unique electric starting system
- Battery: 12 V / 4Ah Super Battery
- Exhaust: Akrapovic titanium header pipe, titanium muffler
- Transmission: 6-speed sequential gearbox, primary gear drive chain secondary drive
- Clutch: Hydraulic, multidisc in oil bath
- Ignition: Alternator 220 W
- Chassis: Half perimeter frame chrome – Molybdenum
- Fuel tank: 32-L(Dakar Spec) fuel tank; (13-liters FX spec)
- Brakes: Hydraulically activated Brembo 300 mm (11.81 in) front and 220 mm (8.66 in) rear
- Front Suspension: WP telescopic fork, 52 mm (2.05 in) tubes rebound and compression adjustable, 300 mm (11.81 in) of travel
- Rear Suspension: WP progressive, multiadjutable Trax rear shock utilizing a linkage and rod system, 300 mm (13 in) of travel
- Front Wheel: 1.60 x 21″ aluminum rim, steel spokes and Michelin Rally tube type
- Rear Wheel: 2.15 x 18″ aluminum rim, steel spokes and Michelin Rally tube type
- Weight: 135 kg
- Wheelbase: 1505 mm
- Ground Clearance: 355 mm
- Seat Height: 970 mm