Tata Motors has announced having received orders of over 5,000 buses from 25 State / City Transport Undertakings across the country. According to Tata Motors, this represents a healthy growth of over 80% plus compared to last year in the order book position for Tata Motors. The big surge in STU (State Transport Undertakings) buying across, is being witnessed after a gap of nearly four years, indicating renewed focus of various State Governments / City Transport providers on public transport, claims the country’s largest commercial vehicles manufacturer.
Tata Motors says that the orders from various STU / City Transport providers represents a noticeable shift towards adopting new technology, safety, comfort features and connected IT enabled buses.
A fully IT enabled bus by Tata Motors has the following features–
– GPS enabled On-Board ITS (Intelligent Transport System)
– Public information systems, via electronic destination boards
– CCTV cameras
– On Board WiFi
– Smart multi-mode ticketing
– On Board Diagnostics systems
Some of these buses are built with features like –
– Air-conditioning / Heating (HVAC)
– Air-suspension systems
– Lower NVH Systems (Noise, Vibration, Harshness)
– Automatic transmission set-ups
– Adoption of Bus Body code practices during body fabrication
– Wider passage-ways for free movement
– Wider window panes for better visibility
– Wider and lower entry/exit doors
Over 1500 of the ordered buses will be fully built and integrated with these features, at Tata Motors JV manufacturing facility at Tata Marcopolo (Dharwad & Lucknow) and ACGL Goa.