The new Volvo XC90 SUV will be revealed very soon at an exclusive event in Sweden. Meanwhile, the Scandinavian carmaker has released a teaser image and few accompanying details of the new XC90 SUV.
The teaser image reveals the striking headlamp design of the new XC90. Inspired from Thor’s weapon of choice, the headlamp unit design is inimitable and classy. Thor is the Norse God for thunder, and is said to carry a powerful hammer for use as a weapon. The T-Shaped LED DRL accent on the headlamp unit will make the new XC90 SUV immediately recognizable on road, thereby lending it unparalleled road presence.
Other details that emerge from the teaser image are :
- A robust engine grille design that provides an air of bossiness. The engine grille has rounded corners, and is surrounded by a polished aluminium grille. Then there are vertical aluminium bars with a satin finish.
- The side view mirror will possess integrated turn indicators. In addition, they will have a small camera beneath themselves. These cameras will be part of a Surround View system, to provide increased locational awareness and improve safety.
- The new XC90 SUV will be sculpted meticulously. You can notice a couple of creases on the bonnet. They will provide a beefy look to the SUV.
The new Volvo XC90 SUV is based on the spanking new Scalable Product Architecture Platform ( SPA ) of Volvo. The SPA has been undergoing development for the last four years, and will form the basis of a number of new models from Volvo. The company claims that the SPA is very flexible and dynamic. Dimensions of the SPA can be changed to produce differing vehicle types like sedans, SUVs or Crossovers. In the ong run, it will lead to a reduction in development costs.
Few technical details about the new XC90 SUV have been revealed. Here they are :
- It will employ an aluminium double-wishbone front suspension. At the rear, a composite leaf-spring suspension has been used.
- For higher specifications, there will be the option of interconnected air suspensions, both at the front and rear.
- The T8 Twin Engine variant will be the range-topping variant. It will employ a sequentially-charged petrol engine, combined with an electric motor. The engine will use a supercharger to boost the low-end torque, and a turbocharger in the higher ranges.
- While the petrol engine will send power to the front wheels only, the 80 hp electric motor will take over the rear wheels. Volvo claims that the combined output will lie around 400 hp and 640 Nm of torque.
Even more details about the interesting new Volvo XC90 SUV will be out in the coming weeks. Stay tuned to us!