The Mercedes Benz S-Class W222 has been around for some time now since its global launch in 2013. It’s been a couple of years since the launch, and a part of the product life cycle, Mercedes Benz is working on the facelift of its flagship model. The new, facelifted version of the car may be launched in about a year’s time from now.
The prototype of the upcoming S-Class has been spied undergoing tests and is in its early stages of development. This being said, changes on the new S-Class, as is the case with most face lifts, seem to be limited for now. On the outside, the changes on the upcoming version include 3 LED DRL stripes and 3 light points in the headlight panel. Modified bumpers and a new grille are expected to change the looks on the front fascia as well.
Inside the cabin, the upcoming model will have a 3 spoke steering wheel as opposed to the current version’s 2 spoke steering wheel. We aren’t particularly happy about the development, though, as we loved the elegant two-spoke unit on the current version, which in our estimation lent the cabin an air of uniqueness, which is important for a car of the S-class’s cadre.
The instrument console on the dashboard sheds the buttons separating the two large hi-res screens for a more unified look for the display. The instrument console also drops the frame that surrounds it and is now integrated right into the dash.
While its too early to comment on the powertrains and transmissions, it would be safe to assume that the new version will continue to get the engines available on the current model. It would, however, be safe to assume that the updated engines will boast mildly better power, torque and efficiency along with lower emissions.
For now, the S-Class if offered in 5 flavours in India:
- S350 CDI: The S350 CDI is powered by a 2987 cc V6 engine producing a maximum power output of 190 hp at 3600 rpm and a maximum torque of 620 Nm at 1600-400 rpm.
- S500 CDI: The S500 CDI is powered by a 4663 cc V8 engine producing a maximum power output of 338 hp at 5250-5500 rpm and a maximum torque of 700 Nm at 1800-3500 rpm.
- S63 AMG /AMG Coupe: The S63 AMG is powered by 5461 cc V8 engine producing a maximum power output of 585 hp at 5500 rpm and a maximum torque of 900 Nm at 2250-3750 rpm.
- S500 Maybach: The S500 Maybach is powered by a 4663 cc V8 engine producing a maximum power output of 459 hp at 5250-5500 rpm and a maximum torque of 700 Nm at 1800-3500 rpm.
- S600 Maybach: The S600 maybach is powered by a 5980 V12 engine producing a maximum power output of 530 hp at 4900-5300 rpm and a maximum torque of 830 Nm at 1900-4000 rpm.
What more features you like to see in the upcoming S-Class? Let us know through the comments section.
Image courtesy: motor1.com