Skoda has produced their 19-millionth vehicle and rolled off the production line at the main Skoda plant in Mladá Boleslav. The celebratory car – a Skoda Fabia in ‘Moon-White’ will be heading to a customer in the Czech Republic. With this feat, Skoda will set a new sales record in 2016. The company began manufacturing automobiles in 1905. The company founders – Laurin and Klement built their first automobile in Mladá Boleslav – a Voiturette.
Skoda joined forces with Volkswagen Group in 1991 and invested more than 350 billion Czech crowns into the manufacturing processes and factories in the Czech Republic alone. The company made a dramatic comeback and produced 7 model series and over 40 model versions in their current portfolio. Skoda vehicles are currently manufactured at 14 locations in 7 countries. Consistently expanding the Skoda model range is an important element of the SkodaStrategy 2025, the aim of which is to prepare the car manufacturer for the progressive and profound changes in the industry and society.
Selected milestones in Skoda Auto’s manufacturing history (Production figures including L&K vehicles):
- 19 December 2016: 19 million Skoda cars produced since 1905
- 19 January 2016: 18 million Skoda cars produced since 1905
- 24 November 2015: 12 million Skoda cars produced at the Mladá Boleslav plant
- 10 December 2014: Skoda manufactures the 1 millionth vehicle in 2014 – the first time the company had produced one million vehicles in a single year
- 19 March 2014: 11 million Skoda cars produced at the Mladá Boleslav plant
- 26 August 2013: 4 million Skoda OCTAVIAs produced
- 9 July 2013: 1 Million Skoda vehicles in China since 2007
- 5 February 2013: 15 million Skoda vehicles since 1905
- 30 January 2012: 14 million Skoda vehicles since 1905
- 12 October 2011: 10 million Skoda vehicles at the Mladá Boleslav plant
- 8 April 2009: 12 million Skoda vehicles since 1905
- 13 July 2006: 10 million Skoda vehicles since 1905
- 1991: 5 million Skoda vehicles since 1905
Speaking on the occasion, Skoda CEO, Bernhard Maier expressed that the company is once again on course to set a new production and sales record in 2016. In the 25th anniversary year of the partnership between Skoda and Volkswagen, this once again demonstrates the Skoda team’s capabilities and the strength of the brand. He further said that they are going to build on this development over the coming years. The foundation for this is Skoda’s Strategy 2025, which will prepare Skoda sustainably for the processes of change in society and the automotive industry.
Skoda Board Member responsible for Production and Logistics Michael Oeljeklaus said that they have 19 million reasons to be proud. This milestone underscores the performance of their Czech and international production sites, as well as the competence of the team.