Mercedes-Benz have revealed the 2013 GLK-Class which has just undergone a mid-life facelift. The new version of the compact SUV will make its official debut at the New York Auto Show next month. Here’s what’s new in the entry level Mercedes SUV.
The GLK-Class boasts of two engines now, unlike its predecessor which was available with only one power plant. The petrol powered GLK350 has a direct-injection 3.5-liter V6 with 302 bhp of power and 370Nm of torque. Then there is the oil burning GLK250 BlueTEC diesel that dishes out 190 bhp of power and 500Nm of torque. Both engines are mated to a seven-speed automatic with stop-start ignition, and available with either rear wheel drive or 4Matic all-wheel drive.
In its 2013 version, the GLK-Class tries to look a bit more sporty and athletic. Headlamps get a treatment seen earlier on the SL-Class, something we absolutely abhor. Mercedes claims to have included as many as 1,000 new parts in total to improve the GLK.
Under the newly-designed headlamps are LED daytime running lights framed in chrome. The rear bumper has been re-styled to emphasize breadth and tail lights have been completely redesigned in both appearance and function.
As part of the restyling, the designers have also developed new 5-triple-spoke 19-inch alloy wheels. A further wheel option is available with the AMG Styling Package for customers who appreciate that extra shot of sporty elegance. The 20-inch AMG 5-twin-spoke alloys are complemented by AMG front and rear skirts, AMG grille with two chrome louvers, AMG LED daytime running lights and aluminum roof rails.
Interior now has a leather multifunction steering wheel with shift paddles and a premium 4.5-inch color display in the instrument cluster. The Direct Select shifter located in the steering column is new for the 2013 model year.
Standard infotainment equipment for the new GLK includes a six-speaker sound system with an AM/FM radio, single CD player and MP3 capability, as well as a Bluetooth interface for hands-free calling and a central controller with a 5.8-inch color display. The optional Multimedia package incorporates a larger 7-inch display with a rearview camera, enhanced voice control and the COMAND system with hard-drive navigation. Available assistance systems are taken from from the S- and E-Class.
– Seat occupancy recognition for front passenger seat
– Crash-responsive pedals
– 3 head restraints in the rear, adjustable for height and tilt.
– 3-point seat belts including mechanical belt height adjustment and belt force limiter for driver and front passenger plus automatic belt height adjustment on the outer rear seats.
Active safety is supported by the following items of equipment:
– ADAPTIVE BRAKE including Hill-Start Assist, HOLD function, brake drying in the wet and priming
– AGILITY CONTROL suspension with selective damping system
– Antilock Brake System (ABS)
– Acceleration Skid Control (ASR)
– Brake Assist (BAS), assisting the driver with additional brake power when emergency braking is detected
– Direct-Steer system with speed-sensitive power assistance and variable steering ratio
– ESP® Electronic Stability Program including trailer stabilization
– 4MATIC permanent all-wheel drive with 4ETS electronic traction system
– Advanced tire pressure monitoring system
The new GLK will go on sale in August 2012. The prices for the new model will be announced in some time.
Comments may be moderated. If you don't see your comment, please be patient. It may be posted soon. Do not post your comment a second time. Thank you.