#1 sheelpriye

sheelpriye

Motoroid

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 765 posts

Posted 19 October 2010 - 02:19 PM

Greetings Venkat Sir!

I had used Motul 300V in my Karizma once and to my horror the oil level dipped below the 'low' mark in about 1700kms, I drained the oil and forgot synthetics for good.(The color was BLACK)

But now, few people have been saying that in R15 there are no evaporation issues if it is a synthetic oil.

I know R15 is engineered differently, but can a fully synthetic oil be used for 4000kms w/o any worries(oil level and viscosity)? Would the same be true for high revving in-line twin or in-line four Motorcycles?

I do not want to top up oils in my Motorcycle, I would rather buy a cheap oil* (mineral/semi-synthetic) and change them more frequently.

*relatively speaking of course:D
Ben Spies

The bike does not define you, but the actions you perform while on the bike do.

#2 Revmaster

Revmaster

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 1,145 posts

Posted 19 October 2010 - 02:29 PM

Venkata Sir.. answers please! :)

#3 nfsnfs

nfsnfs

Motoroid-to-be

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 19 October 2010 - 06:16 PM

Why dont you just change it to synthetic and try it yourself ? .It is just one liter and you will get the answer .
Or you want to save that 600 + Rs for that systhetic ? :) . Smart guy  ...

#4 satyenpoojary

satyenpoojary

CommuTOURer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,310 posts

Posted 19 October 2010 - 06:28 PM

Oil wont evaporate as fast on the R15, a can of 300v easily lasts for a good 5+ K KMs (or so in my case)

Life is tough, only to make you tougher!
Ride right, Ride safe, and Ride hard!

#5 motormania

motormania

Motoroid

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 100 posts

Posted 19 October 2010 - 10:24 PM

Hi Sheel,

even i have seen a lot of people reporting this issue with synthetic oils, and i m very curious to know the reason too. People have also complained about oil leakage. But strangely I never faced any of these issues on my earlier P200 wherein I was using 300V since 2300kms.
Eagerly waiting for your reply Venkat sir.
MotoRep-Kolkata

#6 razorBlades

razorBlades

Duking!

• Administrators
  • 1,441 posts

Posted 20 October 2010 - 03:13 AM

I have faced the same issue myself..

bike behaved better at higher RPMS, no doubt about it but the synthetic oil just evaporated in like 1800kms in my rtr! may be the piston rings fried? :S

I have replaced my block-piston and have stuck to Motul 3000v 20w40 (mineral) since!

Is the rating anything gotta do with the evaporation? I was using 300v 15w50 while my bike's factory recommended rating is 20w40? :)
The only time you'll see me down on one knee, is on my bike!

Posted Image Posted Image

#7 sheelpriye

sheelpriye

Motoroid

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 765 posts

Posted 20 October 2010 - 12:23 PM

Shyam Sir, I need the answers as I might be ordering for a can:)

Perhaps you are on-line, courtsey- FB
Ben Spies

#8 arn

arn

Senior Motoroid

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 920 posts

Posted 21 October 2010 - 12:29 AM

The synth oil, IMO vaporises much more easily and is lost via the crankcase breather. I've faced the same issues in my Karizma. Mixing synth oils partially is not the solution either, you STILL lose oil. I prefer to avoid the synth oils now  for my bike.

#9 sheelpriye

sheelpriye

Motoroid

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 765 posts

Posted 21 October 2010 - 12:52 AM

arn said:

I prefer to avoid the synth oils now  for my bike.

Most of the ownership reviews I have come across claim that there is no evaporation even up till 7-8K. I am taking a realistic figure to be around 5000kms.
Ben Spies

#10 motormania

motormania

Motoroid

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 100 posts

Posted 23 October 2010 - 11:08 AM

sheelpriye said:

Most of the ownership reviews I have come across claim that there is no evaporation even up till 7-8K. I am taking a realistic figure to be around 5000kms.

i used to drain the 300V at around 5000kms on my P200 and all that while, i never noticed any drop in the oil level and never had to top up.

Currently i am using 5100T semi synthetic on my 220..300V costs way too much these days :eek:
MotoRep-Kolkata

#11 arn

arn

Senior Motoroid

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 920 posts

Posted 23 October 2010 - 11:39 AM

The vaporization loss is not so much at low rpm - much more while running fast and long while touring. Also the different architecture of the R15 may go some way towards preventing this kind of loss

#12 sheelpriye

sheelpriye

Motoroid

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 765 posts

Posted 23 October 2010 - 11:44 AM

arn said:

The vaporization loss is not so much at low rpm - much more while running fast and long while touring. Also the different architecture of the R15 may go some way towards preventing this kind of loss

Satyen babu has claimed that it is good for 5K and I just need that.

Few others whom I know have been using 300V with satisfactory result on the R15 and not any other Motorcycle.

What is bugging me is, why is there no reported vaporization on the R15? I am sure on rest of the Motorcycles the oil won't be any good post 2000kms of hard riding.

Edited by sheelpriye, 23 October 2010 - 11:52 AM.

Ben Spies

#13 motormania

motormania

Motoroid

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 100 posts

Posted 23 October 2010 - 11:46 AM

arn said:

is this applicable to all the bikes? i am asking this because i am finding it strange since me and a couple of my friends never faced this issue,while few others did.

While using the 300V, i did few high speed 250-300 kms non stop run but never noticed any drop in oil level. All this uncertaintly is now stopping me from getting the 300v for my 220 now :eek:
MotoRep-Kolkata

#14 arn

arn

Senior Motoroid

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 920 posts

Posted 23 October 2010 - 11:55 AM

I can vouch for the CBZ classic and the Karizma.

Deepak (Pulsurge) can voouch for the P150

The three bikes mentioned have put in 350000km between them, so you can take it very seriously :eek:

Ummm, 300km is not such a long run. It gets noticeable after 1000km or so

#15 v.v.shyam

v.v.shyam

Senior Motoroid

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 143 posts

Posted 23 October 2010 - 04:08 PM

sheelpriye said:

Shyam Sir, I need the answers as I might be ordering for a can:)

Perhaps you are on-line, courtsey- FB

motormania said:

Hi Sheel,

even i have seen a lot of people reporting this issue with synthetic oils, and i m very curious to know the reason too. People have also complained about oil leakage. But strangely I never faced any of these issues on my earlier P200 wherein I was using 300V since 2300kms.
Eagerly waiting for your reply Venkat sir.

Well I have heard a few cases of E oils doing the Vanishing act with out any traces of of burning etc.

We are currently in the investigating mode. Results might take a while.... so its currently wait & watch.

My Apologies for delayed reply as I was on & off the net for various reasons.
Venkat Shyam,BV
Motorep
Bangalore

Auto Service
Bangalore
Email :v.v.shyam@gmail.com
IIMB mail :venkat.shyambv@alumni.iimb.ernet.in
(M): +91 9243 00 3337

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users