inder.cool

Motoroid

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts

Posted 23 February 2010 - 02:54 PM

Riding gear: Your second skin

Introduction:
One of the things that makes motorcycling enjoyable is the freedom of riding in the open air.Unlike car drivers surrounded by a steel com-partment, motorcycle riders feel as if they are a part of everything around them.

Of course, sometimes being out there can have its drawbacks, such as when you are riding in extremely hot or cold weather, when it's raining, when insects are pelting you, or when debris flies up at you. It's for these types of situations, and possible encounters between you and the asphalt, that protective gear was developed.

Protective gear has two basic purposes:
1) comfort
2) protection

Uncomfortable gear can distract you from riding. Properly fitting pro-tective gear will help you stay comfortable when encountering vari-ous riding conditions. In the event of a crash, protective gear will help prevent or reduce injuries.

Proper Riding gear includes:

1) Helmet
2) Riding Jackets and Knee Guards
3) Gloves
4) Boots

Helmet:

The most important piece of protective gear you can wear is a helmet manufactured to meet ISI,DOT,ECE standards.

Helmets help protect your head in 3 ways:

1) The outer shell resists direct contact of head with the surface.
2) Inside the shell is the equally important(impact-absorbing liner) that absorbs more of the shock by slowly collapsing the impact.
3) The soft foam-and-cloth liner next to your head helps keep you comfortable and the helmet fitting snugly.

The chinstrap, is the one piece that keeps the helmet on your head in the event of a crash.

A full-face helmet makes riding more comfortable as compared to a half/open face helmet. It cuts down on wind noise in your ears and windblast on your face and eyes. It deflects bugs and other objects that fly through the air.

Situations when the helmet needs a replacement:

1) If a helmet has been damaged in a crash, it will not be protective in another mishap and should be replaced.

2) If an helmet is more than 3 years old, this is due to the fact that as the time passes due to wear and tear the effectiveness of the helmet keeps decreasing.

Some of the important parts of a helmet elaborated through a diagram:
Posted Image

Riding Jackets and Knee Guards:

Riding Jacket:

An armored riding jacket acts as a protector for most parts of the body including arms, elbow, shoulders, comfort for the chest and protection for back.

Some of the important points to remember while buying a jacket:

1) Should have ECE approved elbow guards, shoulder guards, back protector.
2) Should have on the front, sides and back side of the jacket - which glows in the dark when light strikes it.
3) The size of the jacket should perfectly fit to the body it shouldn't be either too big or too small.
4) Should have a removable waterproof inner liner which helps in protection from rain and cold weather. In case of hot weather the inner liner can be removed.

Riding Jackets come in 3 categories:
1) Leather
2) Textile
3) Mesh

Each has its own pros and cons, so the type of jacket should be choosed wisely.

Some of the important parts of a riding jacket elaborated through a diagram:
Posted Image

Alernatively, if anyone doesnt have a proper riding jacket then they should atleast have a pair of elbow guards, though they are missing out on a lot of other safety gear too like the shoulder/chest/back protector. Coz in an unfortunate event of a crash most of the times elbow does take a bruise.

Knee Guards:

Knee guards are a must as the knees are the first thing to hit the road in case of a crash. Also, this being the first to hit takes most of the impact of the crash which may end up in really screwing up the knee in case not wearing it.

[B]Gloves:

Full-fingered motorcycle gloves protect hands from blisters,wind, sun and cold and will help prevent cuts, bruises and abrasions in a crash.

Gloves that fit properly will improve your grip on the handlebars. If your gloves are too loose or bulky, you may have problems operating the controls of your motorcycle. If they are too tight, circulation will be restricted and your hands will become cold.Seamless gloves or gloves with external seams will help prevent blisters.Gauntlets will keep cold air from going up your sleeves.

Motorcycle gloves are available in many styles, weights and thick-nesses. Lightweight gloves may be more comfortable in summer warmth while heavier, lined and/or insulated gloves are available for additional protection from winter cold.

Posted Image

[B]Boots:

Sturdy, over-the-ankle boots can protect you from a variety of riding hazards. They protect against burns from hot exhaust pipes and impacts from flying road debris.Boots with oil-resistant, rubber-based composite soles will give you a strong grip on the pavement and help you keep your feet on the pegs.

If the boots have heels, they should be low and wide. In case of a crash, boots help provide valuable protection against foot and ankle injuries.

Posted Image

Text: Inder
Photos: Internet

Pls. share this with your friends/family/relatives, so that maximum start wearing the riding gear and be protected. :rolleyes:

#2 satyenpoojary

satyenpoojary

CommuTOURer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,310 posts

Posted 23 February 2010 - 02:59 PM

Thread approved and made sticky ...

Life is tough, only to make you tougher!
Ride right, Ride safe, and Ride hard!

#3 rachitkohli

rachitkohli

Motoroid

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 23 February 2010 - 03:35 PM

superb info inder. Thanks for sharing.
Its not the Mountains we conquer, But ourselves...

Mumbai - Leh - Mumbai : 21 Days, 6500kms. Journey to Heaven..'09

#4 sheelpriye

sheelpriye

Motoroid

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 765 posts

Posted 27 February 2010 - 08:03 AM

Should i order on-line and get good stuff for the similar budget or come down to pune/mumbai and get to try the products i am intending to buy and then choose,

the bonus will be meeting Motoroid team:)

^^i am pretty confused with sizes and what if the ordered stuff is bigger/smaller?
Ben Spies

The bike does not define you, but the actions you perform while on the bike do.

#5 DineshSamtani

DineshSamtani

Motoroid

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 04 March 2010 - 08:09 PM

sheelpriye said:

Should i order on-line and get good stuff for the similar budget or come down to pune/mumbai and get to try the products i am intending to buy and then choose,

^^i am pretty confused with sizes and what if the ordered stuff is bigger/smaller?

The best option is to try out and buy the riding gear, Except for Knee guards(which have a universal size) all other protective gear comes in sizes and you should try it on for your comfort before buying it.

If you order and the size is wrong, i dont know to what extent is it possible to get it exchanged.
Respect the nature,
and it will respect you back!!

Regards,
Dinesh

#6 dman

dman

Motoroid

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 108 posts

Posted 05 March 2010 - 10:29 AM

On our Long rides ... Say out station rides we all try and wear protective gear.

In the City for day to day riding i am sure we try and wear a Helmet, Gloves and a simple Wind Cheater.

But do we wear Shin guards ? Knee Guards ?? Elbow Guards ??? Riding Boots ???? Riding Jacket ?????

Accidents dont have a specific location, a day or a fixed time.. !!

I am asking this to know what is the minimum protection that we should have on our busy city roads ??
Vehicles Own/Owned :
Jawa 350 Twin Sports (Made in Chech),
Yezdi 350 Twin,
Yezdi 250 CL2,
Bajaj Chetak,
Tata Indica Xeta 1.4.

#7 satyenpoojary

satyenpoojary

CommuTOURer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,310 posts

Posted 05 March 2010 - 10:46 AM

sheelpriye said:

You can always ride down to Mumbai to meet us :)
Most branded riding gears comes with proper sizing chart, hence it easier to predict thier size. PS: I dont consider DSG\Cramster as 'branded' riding gears in this context. Especially DSG as it has a issue with the fitting, the standard M size has long enough sleeves but a short waist and so on.
In short if you are planning to buy DSG\Cramster, you might as well try it before you book... and when you try and find a fit perfect buy THAT peice itself!

DineshSamtani said:

The best option is to try out and buy the riding gear, Except for Knee guards(which have a universal size) all other protective gear comes in sizes and you should try it on for your comfort before buying it.

If you order and the size is wrong, i dont know to what extent is it possible to get it exchanged.
On the contrary, knee guards have a reputation to be fidgity... I gave away a pair of universal sized knee guards to a close friend in Mangalore as the didnt fit me!  Also when buying a knee guard ensure you wear it and sit on the bike and check for contact points... some knee guard have a reputation to touch and scuff the tank!

dman said:

On our Long rides ... Say out station rides we all try and wear protective gear.

In the City for day to day riding i am sure we try and wear a Helmet, Gloves and a simple Wind Cheater.

But do we wear Shin guards ? Knee Guards ?? Elbow Guards ??? Riding Boots ???? Riding Jacket ?????

I am asking this to know what is the minimum protection that we should have on our busy city roads ??
In city, I always wear a helmet, gloves and a mesh jacket. The only reason why I dont wear knee guards as it becomes a bit difficult to manage it! I would love to lay my hands on something that can be easily stored in the bag\pouch....and boots are a mandate everytime I ride, thats courtesy a freak accident @ 10KMPH which nearly busted my foot!

#8 nav75

nav75

Motoroid

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 220 posts

Posted 05 March 2010 - 12:14 PM

satyenpoojary said:

In city, I always wear a helmet, gloves and a mesh jacket. The only reason why I dont wear knee guards as it becomes a bit difficult to manage it! I would love to lay my hands on something that can be easily stored in the bag\pouch....and boots are a mandate everytime I ride, thats courtesy a freak accident @ 10KMPH which nearly busted my foot!
+1.
Mine is helmet + leather jacket (yes I know it gets uncomfortable in summer but it has saved my skin a few times, so I don't mind a few uncomfortable moments) + gloves + shoes.
How this much saves in city? One of my accident happen under 100m from my house (in a lane) - just before people say that riding gears aren't needed for small distance. A car took a quick U turn, from standstill, without looking/giving any indication, it comes and hits me and my bike from side. I land on a pile of bricks. The leather jacket was badly torn but not a single scratch to me. Since then either I walk close distance/take car or ride with protection.
In fact majority of my accidents have happen in ~4km radius of my home.

#9 praful

praful

Motoroid

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 05 March 2010 - 12:18 PM

dman said:

Most accidents atleast the kind that your riding gear will protect you from will happen in city limits only. Highway crashes are lesser and when they do happen, riding gear usually is insufficient.

Would advise you to wear what ever gear you have everytime you step out of the house.

I always have helmet+gloves+full shoes on. Try and wear my jacket as much as possible too.
Ride On! :-)

#10 sheelpriye

sheelpriye

Motoroid

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 765 posts

Posted 05 March 2010 - 02:49 PM

satyenpoojary said:

You can always ride down to Mumbai to meet us :D
without proper riding gear(a helmet and a* gloves?)
No.

I dont consider DSG\Cramster as 'branded' riding gears in this context.
looking to buy icon;) or Joe Rocket
Ben Spies

#11 satyenpoojary

satyenpoojary

CommuTOURer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,310 posts

Posted 05 March 2010 - 03:11 PM

sheelpriye said:

without proper riding gear(a helmet and a* gloves?)
No.

looking to buy icon;) or Joe Rocket

When I say ride, its automatically considered as riding fully geared :D
Head to any website, bikebandit, motorcycle super store, new enough etc and check for the Size info, it will have something like this Joe Rocket (Jacket Sizing Chart)

#12 sheelpriye

sheelpriye

Motoroid

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 765 posts

Posted 05 March 2010 - 03:28 PM

and ship back the whole stuff if it doesn't fit me?
^^have to get a helmet, getting bored of my GP-One
Ben Spies

#13 satyenpoojary

satyenpoojary

CommuTOURer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,310 posts

Posted 05 March 2010 - 03:34 PM

sheelpriye said:

and ship back the whole stuff if it doesn't fit me?
^^have to get a helmet, getting bored of my GP-One

The sizing chart and the info are farily accurate, atleast I never had a problem with them except for a universal sized knee pads...

You can always gift it to some one deserving too  > :D

#14 DineshSamtani

DineshSamtani

Motoroid

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 05 March 2010 - 04:06 PM

satyenpoojary said:

The sizing chart and the info are farily accurate, atleast I never had a problem with them except for a universal sized knee pads...

You can always gift it to some one deserving too  > :D

LOL nice1 satyen...

@sheelpriye : just a sugestion, try avoiding bionic knee guards from Cramster, i own one and they are a pain to wear/remove as you have to slide them via your foot, try get something that u can directly hook up to the knee and not slide.

And ya, i wear, Helmet, Gloves and my Jacket(mesh) in the city too. Saw an incident where a biker was scratched on his shoulder by a small tempo with iron rods dangling that too while waiting at a signal(0 kmph). So decided to wear it all the while, city or highway.
Respect the nature,
and it will respect you back!!

Regards,
Dinesh

#15 sheelpriye

sheelpriye

Motoroid

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 765 posts

Posted 05 March 2010 - 04:19 PM

i would be buying riding pants,
^^doesn't the tank get scratched with knee guards?

@satyen--you already have your share of riding stuff, let me find someone deserving:D
Ben Spies

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users