224 replies to this topic

#91 spinz

spinz

Motoroid-to-be

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 01:34 PM

got the bike serviced Yesterday, changed the Engine oil and Oil filter. No pressurized air over the air filter. There's still some khat sound from the front forks as the bike hits rough patches ( the guys did nothing to rectify it and I didn't push as had go get home early) and from the headlight assembly ( I think I should open the Headlight again and double-tape the loose connectors properly) .

Service experience is good. U get better treatment than at the Honda Service Centers. The oil change i didn't like as it was the same oil they used in Pulsar 220 or other Bajaj Bikes. They said that I can put my own purchased oil too as long as it matches the company specified ratings :)

The gear shifts have gotten hard after the oil change so I think I'll be putting the Motul one soon.

Riding experience after the service : The sweet spot is between 5-8k RPM. After that vibrations felt in the right footpeg and not comfortable over long distances. Mileage on the meter showed 60kmpl when ridden at 56-60 kmph. from 60-70kmph it dropped to 50kmpl and over 80-90 it showed 40kmpl. Pushed beyond 90kmph it was around 35kmpl on the console.

I didn't like the split seats one bit. It gets uncomfortable after an hour or so as the rear seat bites in the small tail bone. A single seat like that of Fz-16 is the most comfortable.

Definitely not a good tourer but a very good city bike

#92 L.P.

L.P.

Nitin Gupta - Photoworks

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 215 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 01:39 PM

View Postspinz, on 11 April 2012 - 01:34 PM, said:

got the bike serviced Yesterday, changed the Engine oil and Oil filter. No pressurized air over the air filter. There's still some khat sound from the front forks as the bike hits rough patches ( the guys did nothing to rectify it and I didn't push as had go get home early) and from the headlight assembly ( I think I should open the Headlight again and double-tape the loose connectors properly)
Two Quick things:

Tap gently on all the indicators, if they have a (Trrrr, Trrrr) Rattling Noise, You can get them changed FOC, Known BUG :P in the First Release.

Second that KHAT sound looks like coming from the Front, Comes from where exactly you are sitting, the chain bangs with the Silencer belly :(
"There is Nothing, Forever, Except the Change"

#93 L.P.

L.P.

Nitin Gupta - Photoworks

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 215 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 10:16 AM

Tomorrow the Bike turns completely One Month old and 3500kms on the Oddo.

After a Quick user review its time for a Detailed Ride Report, Review.

Writing this after I took the bike on a Tour this weekend, I chose the route:
Delhi-Meerut-Roorkee-Dehradoon-Mussorrie-Badkot-Yamunotri-Badkot-Juddo-Vikasnagar-Ponta Sahib-YamunaNagar-Thanesar-Panipat-Karnal-Delhi.

Posted Image

This route consists of the toughest terrains in India, Off the Road may be like 400kms out of 950kms of the Trip, and the Best of tarmac as well.

Prelude:
Since the time I had covered its launch, the itch had been there to buy it, ever since I got it in my hands, It is for sure, it was not put to rest .

The running in was finished in 3 days, in city's traffic and mostly with pillion, the duke got serviced, and the Guy at PBK advised to not open it fully as of now, try to do the Second running in for next 1000kms which was riding at 90-110 kmph on open stretches, did as advised.
I witnessed / read / spoke to many duke owner's - Big rallyists, Real Rider's, SBK owner' did a test run on it, and gave their feedbacks, but this is not what I am gonna write here, i wanted some real long time to be spent with it. and my own some cents over what I feel as the owner and a Rider for Duke.

Going by the Format of DOC, which I found was utterly nice :P

Looks:

You BET!! Its an Attention Grabber

Posted Image

Nothing seems to be out of proportion, Saree guard even is pretty logical. Leg Guards, Pretty Decent  to Protect the bike from the lightest scratch. You look great on it even if you are 6'Ft.

Posted Image

First thing on Road, when some wanna-be-biker see's it: "Ye to FZ hai, issney thodi aur Modify kara rkhi hai".

Yeah it does look like it, but that doesn't it is FZ, Anyways, Even a kid can tell is not FZ

Fit And Finish:

The bike feels very well planted, everything seems to be in place, except for the footpegs, looks like they placed the Pillions a little ahead to make it for the rider, This should have had a little more ahead to made it real comfortable, pain for long tours.

The Instrument Panel is fully loaded with stuff like: Kms to empty, time you started riding in Mins, AVG speed, Mileage, Oddo, TRIP1, trip2, F-Trip, Next Service, Any malfuctions, Low fuel, Side Stand, gear indicator, Nifty RPM, gear shift indicator and it even tell you much money you have in your pocket and what is in dinner today at home :lol:

The Tank's Lock Quality is pretty cheap, the handle is very light, A Slight fall bends it, not mine , saw it on someone else's :P

The Radiator Grille is Pretty useful
Posted Image

The Horn is pretty weak still, looks like some scooty behind you is trying to make a sound.

CITY Commuting:

A Hot Knife through Butter.

Short gearing makes it worth riding in city, you don't have to shuffle between mars and moon to change gears if you are stuck in traffic, if you are in the third, it can pull you out, I have personally not put First gear ever since then in first gear, second gear does the Wheelie, so no need of one either. :P

The Mirror's are pretty good, once you have set them, no need move your head, just by moving eyes you can see even on 120-125 kmph.

Brakes are pretty efficient., Tyres, wonderful, detailed tests later...

and for people like :

View PostRevmaster, on 06 May 2011 - 11:35 AM, said:

Pardon my Indianism, but, Kitna deti hai?  
Eagerly looking forward to hear about the bike's handling and suspension. Would also be interesting to know how comfortable the seats are for a long haul. How good or bad is the night riding experience, with special focus on the the headlights.
I am more than sure this is going to be the most exhaustive thread on the bike in the whole wide world, knowing Doc. A reason why I changed the topic name to a more apt one.

PS: Doc, please let me know if you want it to be altered

Bhai Sahab: 32kmpl, while on the way back- ekdum pelum-pel no-where below 100kmph

Brakes and Tyres:

Absolutely Wonderful :) - though the Disc brake rear is a little bity, and you will find feel brooding about it.

Tyres are a Little soft compound, expected to last like 15k-20k kms, max.
The tyres 150/60 R and 110/70 F, are bloody awesome, lean as much guts as you have, they wont go off, unless there's something wrong with the tarmac, I felt bike sliding a lot earlier, one has to get to understand the powerband and for city also the Rear Suspension Preload should be atleast 3, but if you are riding in hills, 4/5 is what I can recommend.

to test the tyres fully to potential you definately need to take this to track, no way on roads you can do that.
Compared to FZ, I was doing the corner's effortlessly, when a frnd took the curve at 85kmph, i took the same corner at 115 , and over took him during the Lean only, though I scared the Crap outtra' him :P but it was fun. He was on CBR 250r

Rear:
Posted Image

Front:
Posted Image

One Self portrait Shot Admiring the machine :

Posted Image

Aaagley dharawahik me dekhiye :P - Touring Aspect, Electricals, Seating, Engine, Suspension, Tank and the Final Verdict

#94 Silver Phantom

Silver Phantom

Senior Motoroid

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 894 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 10:50 AM

Agley Dharava'hic' ka poora intezaar horeylaheai ;)
Chaitanya Vedak / Silver Phantom
~A Motorcycle cant sing in the streets of a City~
My Personal Snaps and Videos Web Album
My Private Site for my Rides, Drives and Craziness
My Youtube Channel
Blood Group- B-ve:D Attitude- B+ve:D:D

#95 pulsurge

pulsurge

Deepak Dongre

• Administrators
  • 1,437 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 02:15 PM

Lovely text with superb pictures.....even I loved the rubber that comes on this bike. No doubt stoppies were so easy...I really want someone to do the beta testing of these tyres on the CBR. Am so desp to make the switch :)
LIFE IS TOO SHORT FOR TRAFFIC

A small bunch of my biking memories

#96 L.P.

L.P.

Nitin Gupta - Photoworks

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 215 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 02:54 PM

View Postpulsurge, on 12 April 2012 - 02:15 PM, said:

.I really want someone to do the beta testing of these tyres on the CBR. :)
Say you what man?? :o

Stoppie - Wheelie on CBR :P, be careful, and wear all kind of protection, even for that too :P
Somethings are just priceless

#97 pulsurge

pulsurge

Deepak Dongre

• Administrators
  • 1,437 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 02:57 PM

Na na...I'd not do that. KTM with its 100 grams tail is a better choice for stoppies :D

#98 NikhilB

NikhilB

Motoroid

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 619 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 03:22 PM

I was having this discussion with Satyen elsewhere,

Question to guys who have experience crossing streams on a bike, (Mumbai roads during monsoon do not qualify :P)

Does the short exhaust of the Duke mean than the chances of water entering the engine is higher?
(Never happened on my previous ZMA on Mumbai's streams :) )

He brought up this point when I said that the Duke has a higher GC than the REs.
I was under the impression that if you rev it enough, the water might not enter the engine.

@Satyen
Posted it here just for a healthy discussion. Anyway, the 140 character limit is a PITA while having a discussion :)
I like 'em Naked.

My thoughts

#99 pulsurge

pulsurge

Deepak Dongre

• Administrators
  • 1,437 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 03:58 PM

The water doesn't enter when you rev, but when you close the throttle...I guess there is a suction effect when the throttle is closed.

#100 NikhilB

NikhilB

Motoroid

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 619 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 04:27 PM

@pulsurge

A little bit does. At least it did on my previous ZMA in Bombay.
The exhaust was spewing water droplets for a little while after getting out of the water.
I never closed the throttle, but slight varying of the throttle input might have caused it.

So, if the throttle is open and revs are high enough, no threat to the Duke?

@LP
How about a beta test? Since the Himalayas are so close :P
I like 'em Naked.

My thoughts

#101 arn

arn

Senior Motoroid

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 920 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 06:57 PM

The water gets in because there is a small drain hole right at the bottom of the exhaust, if the revs are low/engine is off water will surely seep in through there - not the tailpipe.

#102 pulsurge

pulsurge

Deepak Dongre

• Administrators
  • 1,437 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 07:02 PM

^^^LP Maharaj would have already tried that out on his last outing. Not sure but suspicious ;)

#103 Ricci

Ricci

Motoroid

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 138 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 08:58 PM

@Nikhil - water may not enter the engine, but it will enter the muffler unless exhaust gas pressure is high enough to keep water out , but then the exhaust valve is closed for most of the cycle , so there's a good chance of water in the exhaust, and it could damaged the cat-con besides the usual rust.

#104 pulsurge

pulsurge

Deepak Dongre

• Administrators
  • 1,437 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 09:18 PM

Can't believe a mag can crack going over a speed breaker. He's hit really hard here.

#105 L.P.

L.P.

Nitin Gupta - Photoworks

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 215 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 10:34 PM

View Postpulsurge, on 13 April 2012 - 07:02 PM, said:

^^^LP Maharaj would have already tried that out on his last outing. Not sure but suspicious ;)

Saala, How well people have started to know me, some pics may come up in a while :)
was processing a mind blasting pic, at-least for me, it was one of the best pics, i've had :)

View PostNikhilB, on 13 April 2012 - 04:27 PM, said:

@LP
How about a beta test? Since the Himalayas are so close :P

Done that already :peace: , While going there we had a small stream to be crossed, even the front footpeg was submerged, so the water was quite high, did it easily on the second gear.

View Postpulsurge, on 13 April 2012 - 03:58 PM, said:

The water doesn't enter when you rev, but when you close the throttle...I guess there is a suction effect when the throttle is closed.

The logic behind it is that when you are accelerating the exhaust is busy sending the air out :P, but when you chop the throttle, the back pressure takes the water in, and in pulsar's if this happens, the water goes till the engine, ZMA was lot better the Catcon soaks around 4 litres and then drips through the drain hole.

The best approach is to see the water and plan your way through it, if you are familiar with the road, see the best route and then enter slow and either go  on constantly or increasing speed, do not enter fast.

Also tagged with Duke, 200, KTM, Ownership, review, experience, pics, issues, service, parts, KTM 200, Baby Duke, baby duke review, Duke 200 review, nitin gupta photoworks, nitin gupta, nitin gupta motoroids, nitin gupta motoroids.com, nitin gupta duke, duke delhi

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Google