224 replies to this topic

#136 Ricci

Ricci

Motoroid

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 138 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 10:35 PM

@Nikhil : the true exhaust pipe would be inside it, this is the outer pipe and usually is stainless steel as you mentioned, so it won't rust easily. The discoloratio will be there and probably get worse. As long as it doesn't take on a blue-purple hue , it's fine ;)

#137 L.P.

L.P.

Nitin Gupta - Photoworks

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 215 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 08:42 AM

View Postrahul_rn, on 25 April 2012 - 09:52 PM, said:

Don't know about the problem, but i am getting a funny feeling you look like this.. :D
Attachment 536321_344262085633486_251047451621617_912416_1684409388_n.jpg
I am sure many might agree.. :P
This is called the BITCH Please Attitude Troll :-P

Precisely I agree to you too :)
"There is Nothing, Forever, Except the Change"

#138 samschenker

samschenker

Motoroid-to-be

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 11:34 AM

View PostRicci, on 25 April 2012 - 10:35 PM, said:

@Nikhil : the true exhaust pipe would be inside it, this is the outer pipe and usually is stainless steel as you mentioned, so it won't rust easily. The discoloratio will be there and probably get worse. As long as it doesn't take on a blue-purple hue , it's fine ;)

Pardon my ignorance, what if the de-coloration is purpulish, is that something to worry about?

#139 arn

arn

Senior Motoroid

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 920 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 12:53 PM

No.

It's simply the exhaust material getting  "heat treated" and thereby changing colour.

#140 NikhilB

NikhilB

Motoroid

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 619 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 01:24 PM

^^

Arn is right.

Have felt the surface of the exhaust header (when cold) and there are no imperfections, even on the discoloured portions. The pipe is still smooth.
In my mind, rules out peeling.
I like 'em Naked.

My thoughts

#141 samschenker

samschenker

Motoroid-to-be

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 01:33 PM

View Postarn, on 09 May 2012 - 12:53 PM, said:

No.

It's simply the exhaust material getting  "heat treated" and thereby changing colour.

View PostNikhilB, on 09 May 2012 - 01:24 PM, said:

^^

Arn is right.

Have felt the surface of the exhaust header (when cold) and there are no imperfections, even on the discoloured portions. The pipe is still smooth.
In my mind, rules out peeling.

Thanks guys, the part of the exhaust pipe(before the O2 sensor) has just started to decolor.

@Nikhil - Even I have the similar decoloration at the same place like yours but they are just few dots here & there and yes they dont feel rough, the pipe still feels smooth.

#142 pulsurge

pulsurge

Deepak Dongre

• Administrators
  • 1,437 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 03:55 PM

I think there's nothing much to worry about....the ZMA was the worst in this. But then it never hampered the working.
LIFE IS TOO SHORT FOR TRAFFIC

A small bunch of my biking memories

#143 satyenpoojary

satyenpoojary

CommuTOURer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,310 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 01:27 PM

Two interesting points
1. Bike heating up
2. The discolouration

In theory this is an indication that the bike is being made to run rich.... Why would anyone do that?

Life is tough, only to make you tougher!
Ride right, Ride safe, and Ride hard!

#144 NikhilB

NikhilB

Motoroid

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 619 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 01:34 PM

^^

Do you think it is heating up more than any other liquid-cooled naked? (Haven't ridden any other, so I wouldn't know). Also, popular opinion is comparing the engine heat with that of an air-cooled bike which doesn't seem fair to me.

Discolouration and rich tuning? My GK starved mind would appreciate an explanation for the connection between the two. :)
I like 'em Naked.

My thoughts

#145 satyenpoojary

satyenpoojary

CommuTOURer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,310 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 01:43 PM

View PostNikhilB, on 10 May 2012 - 01:34 PM, said:

^^

Do you think it is heating up more than any other liquid-cooled naked? (Haven't ridden any other, so I wouldn't know). Also, popular opinion is comparing the engine heat with that of an air-cooled bike which doesn't seem fair to me.

Discolouration and rich tuning? My GK starved mind would appreciate an explanation for the connection between the two. :)

I havent ridden the Duke much to be fair, so cant comment if its more or not! But a faired liquid cooled bike channelizes the heat better (away from the rider), whereas a naked just let the wind take care of the heat over and above the liquid cooling.. thereby blowing it to the riders leg!

The block is designed to take X rate of charge (Fuel+air)
If its tuned rich, it will take X+Y charge.. (however miniscule the Y be)

This not to optimally burnt fuel will escape in the exhaust stroke and heat the exhaust pipe! Very common in drag machines with utlra thin steel pipes!

Life is tough, only to make you tougher!
Ride right, Ride safe, and Ride hard!

#146 NikhilB

NikhilB

Motoroid

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 619 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 03:38 PM

^^

Aha. Got the connection.  :clap2:
Doesn't unburnt fuel igniting in the exhaust header produce a popping sound? Nothing of that sort on the Duke.

Also, regarding the heat. It is very noticeable on traffic signals. But that's mostly because the radiator fans are chanelling the heat to your legs, quite unlike a faired bike.

I guess an inspection of the spark plugs could validate the "rich tuning" theory...
I like 'em Naked.

My thoughts

#147 spinz

spinz

Motoroid-to-be

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 06:17 PM

Strangely I'm feeling the bike to have lost its pickup after the 1st service, So i changed the oil to Motul 300v. The bike got smoother but still feeling like its not as quick as I test rode the test mule. Sadly no other bikes in my area so as to take a back to back test ride. I think I'll visit the ASC which is about 150kms away and get it checked :(

U guys can come up with any valid reason for this. The bike touched 137kmph though a couple of days back :)

#148 L.P.

L.P.

Nitin Gupta - Photoworks

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 215 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 10:46 AM

View Postspinz, on 10 May 2012 - 06:17 PM, said:

Strangely I'm feeling the bike to have lost its pickup after the 1st service, So i changed the oil to Motul 300v. The bike got smoother but still feeling like its not as quick as I test rode the test mule. Sadly no other bikes in my area so as to take a back to back test ride. I think I'll visit the ASC which is about 150kms away and get it checked :(

U guys can come up with any valid reason for this. The bike touched 137kmph though a couple of days back :)

The ECU takes the feedback from the Meter Console, and now that the Power band has been elongated, it wont feel that quick, but it is, just that the power band is not abrupt now.

this is quite common, still you are faster than anyone on road :P

#149 spinz

spinz

Motoroid-to-be

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 09:42 PM

View PostL.P., on 11 May 2012 - 10:46 AM, said:

The ECU takes the feedback from the Meter Console, and now that the Power band has been elongated, it wont feel that quick, but it is, just that the power band is not abrupt now.

this is quite common, still you are faster than anyone on road :P

Hmmmm bout the meter console thing...well I took ur advice a couple of pages back and set the Rpm1 and Rpm2 between 5k to 8k about a week ago. Riding on the same limit...No difference felt :huh:

#150 L.P.

L.P.

Nitin Gupta - Photoworks

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 215 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 03:55 PM

View Postspinz, on 11 May 2012 - 09:42 PM, said:

Hmmmm bout the meter console thing...well I took ur advice a couple of pages back and set the Rpm1 and Rpm2 between 5k to 8k about a week ago. Riding on the same limit...No difference felt :huh:

Ohkay Not really sure, how you fiddle with it, but initially when they changed it, I felt the power band to go a little linear that the abrupt way it was earlier.

Ohkay My Main motive to post here is-

Anyone facing issues with the COLD Start, overnight Halt and then Early Morning Start Issues???
Mine takes like a 5-7 Cranks to get up.

Will try to get the Crank roll over sensor and Lambda Sensor checked once.

Also tagged with Duke, 200, KTM, Ownership, review, experience, pics, issues, service, parts, KTM 200, Baby Duke, baby duke review, Duke 200 review, nitin gupta photoworks, nitin gupta, nitin gupta motoroids, nitin gupta motoroids.com, nitin gupta duke, duke delhi

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users