73 replies to this topic

#1 rahul_rn

rahul_rn

Rahul Nargundkar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,589 posts

Posted 06 October 2011 - 04:08 PM

Guys i don't think that this thread was needed but then again i needed some help so starting this one..
I am not new to biking been doing that since ages but most of my trips (rather commutes) are in city and i rarely go outside city... and now i am  planning one..

I need some help on my trip (might be a joke for some poeple here but its big for me as its my maiden voyage) from pune to belguam roughly 350kms on the GQ, will be returnin after 10 odd days.. possibly leaving on 14th of this month and i am guessing it will be a solo ride i will be having my college bag and a travel bag with me.. the maximum distance i have travelled on bike is 130kms (belguam to shiroda) and that too with friends..

so i needed some tips guys.. i was planning to leave in the noon or evening of 14th..
so please help me supertourers.. DOC..?? satyenbhai...
any tips and suggestions...?? others are also welcome... :)

this is rather too easy trip for others but its my maiden voyage...
i don't know how to post the map here but if anyone googles it, its a drive down the GQ..
To travel is better then to arrive - Anonymous

#2 Silver Phantom

Silver Phantom

Senior Motoroid

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 894 posts

Posted 07 October 2011 - 02:15 PM

This is not an Expert Opinion, but an honest On-the-Road-Learned-Lessons kind of Guideline.

#1- Do not carry a Backpack:
or rather strap the backpack to the Bike. so say if you have a college Backpack, use Rope (nylon) or Bungee Cords to Strap it to the Rear Seat (as you gonna go Solo). Same Thing with a Travel Bag. Best way is to Travel Light, and Carry only the Essentials.. (I'll give a list Later on). Carry only One Bag at the most.

#2- Carry at least 1Big Bottle of Water.:
a 1Ltr bottle is the Best bet. many might say that add Glucon D to it beforehand, but i say otherwise. the reason, sometimes you might wanna wash your hands somewhere in the open space, and GluconD might become sticky.. ;) . When you feel parched. dont drink all the water at once. big mistake :( . Rather have only 2-3 generous sips. it not only saves water, but reduces you Pee-Stops. and also quenches your thirst. If in case you feel dehydrated, or low on Glucose, Dump a Huge amount of G'D Powder directly in your mouth, savor the taste, and then wash it down with water. TRY TO AVOID AERATED DRINKS. Sprite / M'Dew / Pepsi etc. are all good to taste, but you will only still feel more thirsty later. and secondly the gasses can explode unexpectedly. also when such drinks are mixed with mentos, they are a recipie for death (Search for Mentos+Coke Rockets on Youtube for the actual expanding forces this can cause, and imagine that happening in your Stomach,,, VERY BAD).

#3- Carry some Chocolate Bars / Glucon D powder / Biscuits:
These are excellent Energy Rechargers. But i suggest you dont carry a Truckload of it. i suggest 1Pack of G'D, 3Bars of 5Star, or Perk etc.. and a few Chewies, like Mentos, Halls, Polo etc. you you can suckle and keep your mouth wet while riding. refer Point #2 on how to take it.

#4- Service Bike, Tank Up Fuel, Wash and Dry Proper Riding Gear:
Believe me when i say that a Break-Down on the middle of the Highway is a Pain in the @$$. A well serviced bike is like a Babe returning from a Day at the Spa. She will Perform better after a Pampering. get my point ;)
Also do wash your Sweaty riding gear, coz you will sweat, no matter what weather, and no matter if your wearing a mesh jacket. and believe me it is not a good sight to see people cringe their nose when you go to ask them an address. and a Can of deo wont help you in that matter. it will only mix up the aromas, and put the other person in a coma.

#5- Carry a small stock of Tissue Paper:
Best way is to order a Dominos pizza, and save the extra Tissue they send with it (it is the Softest you can get, and the best to wipe your Visor Clean).

#6- Paper Soap / Alternately a small Refillable Spray Bottle, containing Liquid Soap (Dettol / Lifebouy / etc/) +water Solution.
It not only helps in keeping your hands Sanitized, but is also good to remove stubborn bugs of the Visor.

#7- Travel Light
You dont need to carry your cupboard while riding. if you are going for a Function, carry the suit u gonna wear. apart from that your not gonna be in any other function but riding. So below is a Comprehensive list of Items you can carry to lighten your load.
(All items for an approximate stay of 10Days give or take 10days ;) , this list is not counting what you have on the body while riding. I believe you wont be riding Nude)
- 4Nos extra Tee-shirts (If the Tees get to smelly, wash them before going to sleep, and they will dry out at night.
- 1no. extra Jeans. (Jeans are meant to get smelly).
- 1Pair of pajyamas.
- 2Pairs extra Socks (Washable during a night halt)
- 4Pairs Extra Handkerchiefs (washable during a night halt)
- 2Extra Pairs of Innerwear (coz at sometimes you may not have enough time to wash, or even if washed they might not dry up in time).
- 1 medium or large Body Towel (No use carrying face Napkins, They are a Waste of Space). Also Avoid Turkish Towels. Use the Solapuri, or Plain cloth Towels.
- 1 Floater / Rubber or Foam Chappal (with "1" i mean 1pair for the left and right foot respectively) ;)
- 1 Gillette Presto readyshaver + 1 small Sachet of shaving Cream + Hand (use hand to lather soap, leave out the brush)
- 1 Toothbrush + 1small tube of Toothpaste (they nowadays come with 5Rs Tubes that are as small as your fore-finger)
- A good Torch
- A complete First-AIDS Kit... (make that First-Aid Kit ;) )(you can ask Doc for the List of things that go into a Kit)
- 2/3 Large Plastic Bags: to carry your used Clothes.

Things you can avoid Carrying on the Ride
- Bathing Soap- Coz if you gonna halt at a hotel, they usually provide soap + shampoo
- Clothes Soap- You get small 5/= soap bars or powder in general stores. so you dont need to carry this stuff. just go to the shop and pick it up there. coz you not gonna run a laundry bizness there.
- Heavy food Stuff: There are hotels and eateries available everywhere. sample the local food, and leave ghar ka khaana at the ghar. ;) Enjoy the Highway.

#8- Make yourself Visible:
Use reflective Stickering on the Bike. wear Riding Gear with Reflective Strips etc. Use Pilot / running Lights.

#9- Carry a Map Book / Route Printouts:

(Will add in more points soon
Chaitanya Vedak / Silver Phantom
~A Motorcycle cant sing in the streets of a City~
My Personal Snaps and Videos Web Album
My Private Site for my Rides, Drives and Craziness
My Youtube Channel
Blood Group- B-ve:D Attitude- B+ve:D:D

#3 satyenpoojary

satyenpoojary

CommuTOURer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,310 posts

Posted 07 October 2011 - 02:20 PM

Well I consider myself too new into biking, theres still so much to see. Few things that many err
1. Its not a race, stay easy on throttle. Enjoy the journey.
2. Stay Visible, ensure you are visible to the vehicles so no lane cutting and no stealth mode riding
3. Stay healthy. Eat light, drink a lot, go easy on the body
4. Take a break when you feel like, an alert you delayed by a few hours would reach in a better shape
5. Carry basic tools and spares like (Cables, tubes)
6. Ensure your bike is healthy, a break down in middle of no where is the last thing you want
7. Carry a paper map. It helps a LOT!

Life is tough, only to make you tougher!
Ride right, Ride safe, and Ride hard!

#4 rahul_rn

rahul_rn

Rahul Nargundkar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,589 posts

Posted 07 October 2011 - 03:12 PM

@silver phantom
i guess you got my question wrong.. I am actually going home for holidays.. It is just a 350kms journey down the GQ..
i am guessing you thought i am going for a 10 day trip.. :P
and well i choose almost minimum so only said its going to be a college bag and a travel bag.. so are you suggesting me to dump the trevel bag..??
and thanks for the advice.. :)

@satyen bhai thanks man.. )

I wanted to know is when to go.. i may reach there in 5-6 hours so should i leave in the noon or go next day morning..??
and my bike is a new one still should i get it serviced..??
and my bike is a tubless one so i cannot be carrying a spare tube.. and about the map well i just have ride down the GQ which won't be down but then again can't say which road might come up as well so i gues i have to search for one..
and should i stick to left side or ride somewhat in middle.. i mean i don't want to spot an a** h*** coming right out of no where and i have no where to go..

#5 razorBlades

razorBlades

Duking!

• Administrators
  • 1,441 posts

Posted 07 October 2011 - 03:13 PM

all the best to your first long solo ride.. it will be special, my first ride is still special to me :)

very nicely put by Chaitanya and Satyen. I remember creating a thread as a guide to touring, not sure where its gone :P

@rahul:

even though u have a tubeless tyre, if not for this ride, its better to carry a spare tube for long rides ;) if the tyre gets a cut, basically tubeless tyres are of no use, but instead u can put the tube inside and start riding ;) (personal experience)

the best time to ride is the mornings.. noon you will be fried and tired and nothing much on that route to cool you off.. my suggestion, start as early as possible when the roads are visible enough ;)
The only time you'll see me down on one knee, is on my bike!

Posted Image Posted Image

#6 rahul_rn

rahul_rn

Rahul Nargundkar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,589 posts

Posted 07 October 2011 - 03:19 PM

Cool razor.. will leave on 15th morning then.. :)

#7 arn

arn

Senior Motoroid

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 920 posts

Posted 07 October 2011 - 03:21 PM

• Drive at 90kph or less even if you can go faster
  • When you see somebody on the side of the road with his arse towards you, be liberal with your horn.
  • Brake with the idea of coming to a dead halt, not slowing down, if you do not need to stop, you can always go off the brakes.
  • Your first trip, take the corners 15kph slower than you can, in a manner that you can stop well before your field of vision ends.
  • DO NOT SET A TIME SCHEDULE, just keep a steady pace NO KEEPING UP with anybody.
  • No night riding, preferably start early (7am)
  • Use google maps to e aware of where you should turn off, else Pune to Belgaum is a straight road.
  • Be sure your bike is in shape!

#8 satyenpoojary

satyenpoojary

CommuTOURer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,310 posts

Posted 07 October 2011 - 03:22 PM

View PostrazorBlades, on 07 October 2011 - 03:13 PM, said:

all the best to your first long solo ride.. it will be special, my first ride is still special to me :)

very nicely put by Chaitanya and Satyen. I remember creating a thread as a guide to touring, not sure where its gone :P

@rahul:

even though u have a tubeless tyre, if not for this ride, its better to carry a spare tube for long rides ;) if the tyre gets a cut, basically tubeless tyres are of no use, but instead u can put the tube inside and start riding ;) (personal experience)

the best time to ride is the mornings.. noon you will be fried and tired and nothing much on that route to cool you off.. my suggestion, start as early as possible when the roads are visible enough ;)
+1 says the puncture magnet ^_^

Which side is totally dependant on your style of riding.
If I were you, I wouldnt listen to others advice on that topic :P

Stick to a place where you can see most, and most can see you!

#9 rahul_rn

rahul_rn

Rahul Nargundkar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,589 posts

Posted 07 October 2011 - 03:44 PM

well better i stick to left..

#10 Silver Phantom

Silver Phantom

Senior Motoroid

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 894 posts

Posted 07 October 2011 - 05:00 PM

View Postrahul_rn, on 07 October 2011 - 03:12 PM, said:

@silver phantom
i guess you got my question wrong.. I am actually going home for holidays.. It is just a 350kms journey down the GQ..
i am guessing you thought i am going for a 10 day trip.. :P
and well i choose almost minimum so only said its going to be a college bag and a travel bag.. so are you suggesting me to dump the trevel bag..??
and thanks for the advice.. :)

Well Dude, if youre going home, i suggest that you only carry a water bottle, and some Light snacks (unless you wanna enjoy some Road-Food). But anyways whatever you carry, tie it to the bike. coz a weight on the back, means you may not be able to completely enjoy the highway (trust me on that.. Carrying a laptop bag that cannot be tied to the seat, is like carrying a mountain on the back, on roads where good leans are possible, and not being able to lean... pure torture).
And why 2 bags, are you taking your laundry too??? only carry the basics man. i am sure you might be having backup undies at home too.. ;)

Start Early 6-7am is the best time. Kolhapur is around 4hrs (good speeds, with a few pee breaks thrown in). Belgaum is not too far off from there (never been there on bike so cant say).

your welcome. :D
My Youtube Channel

#11 rahul_rn

rahul_rn

Rahul Nargundkar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,589 posts

Posted 07 October 2011 - 05:14 PM

View PostSilver Phantom, on 07 October 2011 - 05:00 PM, said:

Well Dude, if youre going home, i suggest that you only carry a water bottle, and some Light snacks (unless you wanna enjoy some Road-Food). But anyways whatever you carry, tie it to the bike. coz a weight on the back, means you may not be able to completely enjoy the highway (trust me on that.. Carrying a laptop bag that cannot be tied to the seat, is like carrying a mountain on the back, on roads where good leans are possible, and not being able to lean... pure torture).
And why 2 bags, are you taking your laundry too??? only carry the basics man. i am sure you might be having backup undies at home too.. ;)

well ill try and dump the second bag.. and tie down my lappy bag..

Start Early 6-7am is the best time. Kolhapur is around 4hrs (good speeds, with a few pee breaks thrown in). Belgaum is not too far off from there (never been there on bike so cant say).

your welcome. :D

and from there on its a dream road man.. Hats off to punj lloyd.. its literally butter smooth (they have actually won many awards for it) and very less traffic as well.. so i am thinking of this trip..
Although my plans were to leave to 14th itself.. seriously need a break and too anxious to get home.. :)

#12 Silver Phantom

Silver Phantom

Senior Motoroid

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 894 posts

Posted 07 October 2011 - 05:24 PM

View Postrahul_rn, on 07 October 2011 - 05:14 PM, said:

well ill try and dump the second bag.. and tie down my lappy bag..

Whoa Bro.. I didnt know you were carrying a Lappy.. Dont tie it down, you might end up cracking its Screen.

View Postrahul_rn, on 07 October 2011 - 05:14 PM, said:

and from there on its a dream road man.. Hats off to punj lloyd.. its literally butter smooth (they have actually won many awards for it) and very less traffic as well.. so i am thinking of this trip..
Although my plans were to leave to 14th itself.. seriously need a break and too anxious to get home.. :)
In your Anxiety to reach home, dont rush, or push your limits. reaching home safe, is first priority. You start at night, and you put many people in Anxiety, (i know, trust me.. My Wife for one, kills me every time i come home from a ride / office work at 11:30pm or 3am.. I am a walking talking Phantom you see ;) )
My Youtube Channel

#13 rahul_rn

rahul_rn

Rahul Nargundkar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,589 posts

Posted 07 October 2011 - 05:29 PM

ha ha.. well lets see if i finish everything soon on 14th.. else ill leave on 15th..

#14 rahul_rn

rahul_rn

Rahul Nargundkar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,589 posts

Posted 10 October 2011 - 04:07 PM

Guys i know i may not get an answer for this but what speed should i maintain..??
And how the hell do i stop the stupid itches that crawl up my :censored: that tempt me to hit the top speed..??

#15 satyenpoojary

satyenpoojary

CommuTOURer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,310 posts

Posted 10 October 2011 - 04:43 PM

View Postarn, on 07 October 2011 - 03:21 PM, said:

• Drive at 90kph or less even if you can go faster

View Postrahul_rn, on 10 October 2011 - 04:07 PM, said:

Guys i know i may not get an answer for this but what speed should i maintain..??
And how the hell do i stop the stupid itches that crawl up my :censored: that tempt me to hit the top speed..??

Thats easy. Visualize arriving home with your skull split wide open and carrying your gut and may be liver and a badly battered motorcycle. May be do a google image search without the safety filter.

The idea isnt to be scared, the idea is to be street-smart and ride sensibily.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users