7 replies to this topic

#1 arn

arn

Senior Motoroid

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 920 posts

Posted 10 August 2011 - 12:33 AM

There was a recent thread for low cost biking jackets which made me post the modifications that I have done to an ordinary denim jacket to give it some degree of impact protection as one would get in a "regular" motorcycling jacket. The reason why I have chosen denim as the base is that it is easily  available, looks like "normal" everyday wear and has some degree of abrasion resistance as well.

This sort of jacket is not a substitute for racing leathers, or even extended touring (those have to be airtight at the least to handle temperature extremes), but for day to day city usage where the power ranger look is not wanted, and be easy to wash at the same time. Canvas is an alternative material for this kind of thing, but it is usually white, and washing it is a PITA like no other (having initially used canvas jackets, I can tell you that they are in the epic fail category as far as easy cleaning is concerned).

The armour in this jacket is from a Joe Rocket which has turned out to be a complete POS as far as waterproofing is concerned. You can use normal roller skating guards but it is highly recommended that you increase the "foam" inside the guard, and make it longer as wel, using something like EVA foam 10 mm thick or heatlon (EVA is better in terms of rigidity). For the back protector, if you cannot get one ready made, EVA foam is the only option (heatlon won't protect properly here).

Anyways, here are a few pics of the completed job, though minor work remains to be done (tightening the sleeves and adding some form of ram air venting down the back).

Nothing overly dhinchak about it

Posted Image

That's the pocket into which the back protector fits

Posted Image

the shoulder guard

Posted Image

Ihe shoulder guard in it's pocket

Posted Image

Pocket shut with velcro

Posted Image

Blue stitching on the outside makes it less noticeable

Posted Image

the back protector

Posted Image

The elbow guard in place, fitted into a similar pocket as the shoulder guard.

Posted Image

A couple of cautions: The jacket should have slightly loose arms. There should also be room to fit the shoulder guards. Preferably, it should be one size big for you. You have to go to the tailor and place the guards in their exact location after wearing the jacket so that the pockets can be positioned correctly. Approximate position does not work. The guards should be exactly where required.

For 7-800 bucks your old denim jacket can become adequate (and discrete) riding gear for the city, which does not leave you drenched in your own sweat at the end of a 4 km commute.

#2 pavanchirmade

pavanchirmade

Motoroid-to-be

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 10 August 2011 - 10:46 AM

Good idea man! It will be easy to store this jacket too.. In the office or college bag itself.

#3 rahul_rn

rahul_rn

Rahul Nargundkar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,589 posts

Posted 10 August 2011 - 11:54 AM

doc, you the man... seriously one business tip for you, start your own brand of personal jugaad both for bike parts and accessories.. :P
To travel is better then to arrive - Anonymous

#4 satyenpoojary

satyenpoojary

CommuTOURer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,310 posts

Posted 10 August 2011 - 01:47 PM

Cant see the pics form office but will see once I go home!
Velcro the gaurds may be! Then you could store the jacket and the guards seperately!

Life is tough, only to make you tougher!
Ride right, Ride safe, and Ride hard!

#5 pulsurge

pulsurge

Deepak Dongre

• Administrators
  • 1,437 posts

Posted 10 August 2011 - 04:24 PM

Amazing work doc!
LIFE IS TOO SHORT FOR TRAFFIC

A small bunch of my biking memories

#6 Silver Phantom

Silver Phantom

Senior Motoroid

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 894 posts

Posted 10 August 2011 - 05:08 PM

Awesome job doc...
Chaitanya Vedak / Silver Phantom
~A Motorcycle cant sing in the streets of a City~
My Personal Snaps and Videos Web Album
My Private Site for my Rides, Drives and Craziness
My Youtube Channel
Blood Group- B-ve:D Attitude- B+ve:D:D

#7 arn

arn

Senior Motoroid

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 920 posts

Posted 11 August 2011 - 11:12 PM

Some more pics of an earlier jacket which has a roller skating guard as the protective element

This is how it looks with the guard in place

Posted Image

Close up of the same

Posted Image

With the guard out

Posted Image

The pocket with the guard inside

Posted Image

#8 Fireblade

Fireblade

Motoroid-to-be

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 18 August 2011 - 11:25 PM

Mind blowing! Where do you get these innovative ideas? And the time to execute these??? Amazing!
Ride-gards,

Fireblade

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users